AOTW Nov 7-13

EKE BBB

Well, my vinyl copy lives in the cellar. I doubt it would have come out if it wasn't for this thread. And this is the great thing about AOTW.

I've had it since its initial release and I can't say I'm that fond of it but on the other hand I've always found it interesting and not too hard to listen to. Hardly foot patting stuff but I can get involved and taken along by the flow of the music. There's the usual scuttling right hand but also some introspective moments to gve it some variety.

For me Taylor's best on the more straight ahead 50s and 60s sides. but this album's still a keeper and I'll probably dig it out again if I want to sample some 70s solo Taylor.

Incidentally the jacket has a sticker "RECORD OF THE YEAR 1975 - Downbeat International critics poll".

Yes, I can see them fine now.

Hm, a resounding silence so far. Any particular reason? I pulled this one out & gave it a play, though mostly while doing other things. Not the world's best recording--I hope on CD it sounds a bit better. & it reminds me that in general I've never gotten as much out of Cecil's solo albums as the ensemble discs.... though I like this better than the other solo album I listened to lately (the Willisau album) which seemed to me kind of repetitive.

Maybe the reason no-one's discussing this one is that it seems too much like hard work.... It's certainly not as much fun as something like Three Phasis.

Edited by Nate Dorward

I can't comment on this because I don't have it. I have most of the Taylor leading up to this date and I'm still digesting it, but enjoy it. I have some Taylor from later decades and I still can't make heads nor tails of it, enjoymentwise. There's a limboland in between I haven't traveled. . . .

Not the world's best recording--I hope on CD it sounds a bit better.

got the 24 bit remastered CD from black lion yesterday. the sound is pretty good on it. my first solo album by taylor. i've only heard conquistador and at newport 1957 before. this is quite a bit different but i'm liking it so far. played andrew hill's live at montreux straight after. it was interesting to heard these two great solo albums back to back.