sean meehan solo release

"A few years ago, I played a solo set on a rooftop in New York. Sean also played that night. Being an outdoor event and "party atmosphere" I had to rethink my approach and play in some way that would be 1. audible and 2. get people's attention so they'd actually listen. I asked if I could use the PA there, but was told I'd have to use my own mic, which I didn't have. So what could I do? I blasted and shrieked as much sound as I could get out of the instrument, I leaned out over the edge of the roof and used the building next door as an echoplex, I stood on top of a rickety bench that threatened to fall over, and generally physically and mentally exhausted myself trying to create some "music" that would "work" in the "context". Afterwards, I'd felt like I failed.

Sean went up soon after and sat in the corner with his snare drum, pressed a small cymbal onto the head with his thumb and hit the cymbal with a mallet creating waves of sound that filled the rooftop and floated off towards the city limits. A drone filled the air, pitches diving and drifting off, fluctuations caused by the pressure of Sean's thumb. It was a stunning set. And as usual, Sean made it seem like exactly the right thing to do and, like a true master, made it seem easy. At the end of the night, Sean told me how much he enjoyed my set and asked me what I was thinking while I was playing. I said, "Probably the same thing you were thinking during your set." Sean replied, "My thumb hurts?"

Moving forward: Here we have Sean's first solo CD since 1992 - so why not make it a double? And of course, it's exquisitely packaged in handmade paper - take it from someone who's fluffed out his discography with unlistenable objects ("to be played in the mind") in lieu of any kind of solo audio document in the last 13 years to know that the packaging is rather important - otherwise it's just 2 CDs of snare drum! But lucklily it's the best snare drum in the world. And at 500 copies, you'll want to get it while it's hot. Don't spend the next 13 years with sore thumbs at missing out."

Greg Kelley

September 2005

please forward all enquiries to - sosnyc@soseditions.com

please direct your browsers to - www.soseditions.com

thanks!

O.K. to those who are "looking forward" to this. The post just made very little sense to me (maybe I shouldn't admit that).

Maybe belongs in the Funny Rat thread.

Maybe people shouldn't jump all over every person who tries to advertise or sell something on this board. (unless they post the same message in every forum)

Maybe not every post on music some people don't know about or don't understand doesn't have to be posted in Funny Rat.

O.K. to those who are "looking forward" to this. The post just made very little sense to me (maybe I shouldn't admit that).

Maybe belongs in the Funny Rat thread.

Maybe people shouldn't jump all over every person who tries to advertise or sell something on this board. (unless they post the same message in every forum)

Maybe not every post on music some people don't know about or don't understand doesn't have to be posted in Funny Rat.

Sorry if this is contentious.

I didn't say "spam". Someone else did.

Don't "jump all over" someone who doesn't get "2 CDs of snare drum".

I get it that that's what Sean does.

What does the person in the first paragraph of the first post in this thread play?

He "blasted & shrieked" on what instrument?

It's a rainy Friday night so I've done some further "diligence" on this music.

After reading several Google references, John B. is correct.

Now that I know about it, I don't "understand" it.

As the old cliche goes, different strokes for different folks.

BTW it doesn't matter one bit to me what people want to "advertise or sell".

Edited by jlhoots

• 1 month later...

I bought this set from Sean on tour (Sean Meehan with Tomas Korber, Barry Weisblat, Taku Unami, Toshimaru Nakamura and Greg Davis, in Burlington, VT of all places) last week. It is a beautiful object, in and of itself. The cds are sealed within the paper, and need to be extracted, either by cutting the paper or carefully wetting and seperating a section. The music is sparse, reflective and very powerful. Check out Bagatellen for an animated discussion of the release.

I was able to talk with Sean for a while after the show and had a great time discussing the music and the tour.

Edited by John B