Al Cohn's "No Thanks" from Med Flory Jazz Wave

Larry Kart

I've hauled in this post of mine from another list, where a review of a recent Med Flory Jazz Wave big band concert brought this to mind:

Al Cohn's excellent composition and arrangement "No Thanks" from that Fresh Sound Med Flory Jazz Wave reissue ["Go West, Young Med!"] has what may be the best shout chorus I've ever heard. It sure does shout, but it's also so melodic and with some unexpected but utterly organic rhythmic anticipations/reversals. The long line of that chorus (it's virtually a single evolving thought) reminds me of Johnny Mandel, but the whole piece has that moaning feel that was among Cohn's trademarks. Wonderful to think how much artistry Cohn poured into one three-minute piece for a rehearsal band. But then that was quite a band: John Bello,, Al Derisi, Jerry Kail, Doug Mettome (tpts.), Billy Byers, Urbie Green, Milt Gold (trbs.), Flory, Hal McKusick, Cohn, Jack Agee (saxes), John Williams (pno.), Teddy Kotick (bs.), Art Mardigan (dms.). Only four tracks by them on the album, but they're all memorable. The rest are by West Coast versions of Flory's Jazz Wave, from 1956-7, plus two odd tracks for reeds and rhythm from 1959. The "No Thanks" band was New York- based, rec. in 1954.

Inspired by your post I had a listen to "No Thanks " on "Go West, Young Med!". This Al Cohn chart, as well as the band playing it, indeed is excellent. Due to Cohn's superb sax playing one often tends to forget that he was an outstandingly accomplished arranger for small groups and big bands. His arrangements always are very melodic and never fail to swing terrificly. Some of the best examples of his writing can be heard on the recordings by Terry Gibbs's exciting late 50's Big Band and by Maynard Ferguson's Birdland Dream Band.