Louis Stewart – a thread of his own

A Lark Ascending

Jim Rs Blindfold disc included a wonderful Louis Stewart version of ‘The Dolphin’ that sent me back to my LPs. I thought this marvellous guitarist deserved his own thread.

I came across Stewart first on the Ronnie Scott Quintet’s ‘Serious Gold’ in the late 70s, still one of my favourite jazz records. Stewart’s playing on ‘Lazy Afternoon’ and, above all, ‘Forty Colours’ was like a peep into a different world to someone used to rock guitar.

I picked up a couple of his discs on small Irish labels – ‘Louis the First’ and ‘Out on His Own’ which I played constantly. The latter in particular is gorgeous – solo Stewart plus some overdubbing exploring mainly ballads and even an Irish folk song.

The one where I thought he’d slipped was ‘Milesian Source’, like ‘Serious Gold’ on the short lived Ronnie Scott imprint for Pye. A quartet disc with Geoff Castle playing very 70s synths - the whole thing has a half-baked fusion feel. I get this out every few years but time doesn’t seem to have improved it. I get the impression Stewart decided this was not the direction for him!

The last Louis Stewart I obtained was a 1979 straight-ahead date, ‘I Thought About You’ with no less than John Taylor, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins. A studio date that sounds like a live club recording. Wonderful.

Unlike Jim I’m no guitarist so I can’t comment on the finer points of Stewarts style. All I know is that there is a warmth in his tone, a beautiful sense of harmony and an ability to roll off endless variations in the blowing stuff.

After ’79 I lost touch with Stewart. His recordings never seemed to get to the UK shops in the provinces. I did get to see him about five years back at the Appleby Festival – two great sets but no recordings on sale.

‘The Dolphin’ piqued my interest again and I tracked down ‘Overdrive’ in London, a disc that on first hearing sounds as exciting as ‘I Thought About You.’

I notice that there are all manner of other Stewart discs hidden away. The Jardis label boasts:

"Street Of Dreams" JRCD 20243

"I Wished On The Moon" JRCD 20027

"Out On His Own" JRCD 9612

"In A Mellow Tone" JRCD 9206

"Winter Song" JRCD 9005

"Acoustic Guitar Duets" JRCD 9613

Whilst the Livia label website has:

'OUT ON HIS OWN' LRCD 1 (as above)

'LOUIS STEWART QUARTET' LRCD 11

'DRUMS AND FRIENDS' LRCD 2

'ALONE TOGETHER' LRCD 5

'ACOUSTIC GUITAR DUETS' LRCD 7 (as above)

So.

Any fans…and I know Jim will have plenty to say…what post-79 albums are particularly recommended? And where’s the best place to find them?

Edited by Bev Stapleton

No particular recommendations Bev but this thread brought back memories of seeing Louis Stewart with Ronnie's quintet at Frith Street back in the late 70s/early 80s. He fitted very nicely into that group (in fact I recall reading in the biography of Ronnie by his daughter that the two of them shared a particularly wild sense of humour). I'll have to dig out the old vinyl of 'Serious Gold' later tonight.

Bev, thank you for starting this. Maybe I won't have to talk to myself on this one!

First of all, let me offer a selected discography, from my database. This is easy to do, and so I'm just providing it for reference, for whatever it may be worth. There are some early things missing, such as the recordings with Benny Goodman (on the London label, if memory serves); and a few with Tubby Hayes.

Leader / Date / Title / Label / Format

Louis Stewart 1975 Louis The First Hawk Jazz LP

Louis Stewart / Peter Ind 1975 Baubles, Bangles And Beads Wave LP/CD

Louis Stewart 1976-11;1977-01 Out On His Own Jardis (orig on Livia) CD

George Shearing 1977 to 1979 Compact Jazz MPS CD (compilation including several tracks from MPS LP's)

George Shearing 1977-06 500 Miles High MPS / Pausa LP

George Shearing 1977-06 Windows MPS / Pausa LP

Ronnie Scott 1977-10-18 Serious Gold Pye LP

Louis Stewart 1977-12-21 Milesian Source Pye LP

Louis Stewart 1978 Drums And Friends Livia LP

Louis Stewart 1978 Live / In Denmark, 1978 Private Rec.

Louis Stewart 1978;1979-06-13 Live / Bangor Jazz Club Private Rec.

Louis Stewart 1979 Live / Wales Private Rec.

Louis Stewart 1979 I Thought About You Livia/ Lee Lambert LP

Louis Stewart 1979-08-15,16,17 Alone Together Livia LP

George Shearing 1979-09-19,20,21 Getting In The Swing Of Things MPS / Pausa LP

Louis Stewart 1980-06-12 Live / Conway's,Dublin Private Rec.

Louis Stewart / George Coleman 1984-04-07 Live / Dublin, 1984 Private Rec.

Laila Dalseth 1984-08-06,07 Daydreams Gemini CD

Louis Stewart / Martin Taylor 1985-03-24/ 12-01 On B B C Radio Private Rec.

Louis Stewart / Martin Taylor 1985-07 Acoustic Guitar Duets (Super Session) Jardis CD

Len McCarthy 1986 Len McCarthy & The Guiness All Stars Livia LP

Jim Doherty 1986 Spondance Livia LP

Louis Stewart /M. Meunier /M. Gaudry 1986-04 Paris / Dublin Bloomdido LP

Louis Stewart 1986-05-27,28,30 Good News Villa CD

Louis Stewart / Mundell Lowe 1988 "The Session" TV Show, Dublin,1988 Private Rec.

Louis Stewart 1988-08-06, 1990-02-12 String Time Villa CD

Spike Robinson 1989-07-15 Three For The Road Hep CD

Louis Stewart 1989-11-1 Serious Jazz Livia LP

Louis Stewart / Heiner Franz 1990 Winter Song Jardis CD

Louis Stewart 1990-06 Quintet Live on B B C, June 1990 Private Rec.

Spike Robinson 1991-10-26 A Real Corker Capri CD

Louis Stewart 1992-04-14 Louis Stewart Quartet (Feat. Michael Moore) Cecilia CD

Louis Stewart / Heiner Franz 1992-06 In a Mellow Tone Jardis CD

George Shearing 1992-09-17 How Beautiful Is Night Telarc CD

European Jazz Guitar Orchestra 1993-01 European Jazz Guitar Orchestra Jardis CD

Louis Stewart 1993-02-10 Overdrive Hep CD

Joe Williams 1993-08-16,17,18 Here's To Life Telarc CD

George Shearing 1994-02-14 That Shearing Sound Telarc CD

J. J. Johnson 1994-07-13 Tangence Verve CD (only a solo or two for Louis)

George Shearing Trio 1995-03-01 to 03 Paper Moon Telarc CD

Kevin Dean 1998-07-27,28 Venous Lake Gemini CD

Louis Stewart / Heiner Franz 1999-11-23, 24 I Wished On The Moon Jardis CD

Louis Stewart / Bill Charlap 2000 GIFT Ashbrown CD

Louis Stewart / Heiner Franz 2001-10-21 Street Of Dreams Jardis CD

I wasn't aware that Livia was still in existence, let alone reissuing old recordings on CD. I may have to look into that!

The Villa CD's are among my favorites, but I believe they're long OOP.

I can recommend anything on Jardis without hesitation. My personal favorite among the two-guitar recordings with Heiner Franz (the label owner) is probably WINTER SONG, but they're all excellent. The SUPER SESSION with Martin Taylor is for fans of fiery acoustic duets (the Heiner Franz collaberations are mostly amplified archtops, and a bit more relaxed, in general). I order my Jardis CD's through Cadence, in New York.

The Cecilia CD is a very nice quartet date, but I have a feeling this might be difficult to find (a friend who took a trip to Ireland brought this one back for me some years ago).

GIFT, the quartet session with Bill Charlap is also wonderful. That ought to be available through the label (in Ireland) directly, although I got mine from Hiroshi Tanno.

I almost forgot- OVERDRIVE is quintessential Louis! Good choice there, Bev...

Edited by Jim R

Yikes, so many recordings and so little actually in the shops.

I actually ordered Winter Song and Street Of Dreams direct from Jardis a couple of days back. Took a bit of doing as the e-mail links on the site were out of date but got an e-mail back from Heiner Franz (I assume it's his own label) yesterday confirming my order.

The one I've seen most commonly in the shops and have still not picked up is Baubles, Bangles And Beads with Peter Ind. Next time I see it!

The Livia website is here:

http://www.liviaarts.com/catalogue.htm

Jardis for anyone interested is:

http://www.jardis.de/htm_files/masterframe.htm

Use info@jardis.de to e-mail rather than Heiner Franz's own e-mail address which doesn't work. The online ordering works though you don't get an automatic confirmation.

Re: Serious Gold.

Anyone with that record stuck in your loft - just dig it out and listen to the guitar on Forty Colours. Breathtaking. The tenor's pretty good too!

• 1 month later...

Joycenotes (Villa 1993) is the pick of the nineties recordings made by Louis I dont know if its that widely available, however ;I got my copy on CD from the man himself. I have a copy of Louis the First on vinyl, does anyone know if its worth anything? I cant not mention the Livia album Alone Together its my favourite of all of Louis' a superlative live recording even thinking about it makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck! There are some stellar moments on Gift the recording done with Bill Charlap. Louis' solo on Line for Lyons should be studied by all aspiring jazz guitarists. No album has yet to capture Louis at the full extent of his powers , stuff like when, at a duo performance in Dublin a couple of years back with Gene Burtoncini, the latter held up his hands in astonishment....

bmccorma,

Great to bump into another fan of Louis. Welcome to the board.

Although I've heard of "Joycenotes", I've never heard it and am not familiar with its content. Can you tell us about that please? I know that the old "Milesian Source" album was inspired by James Joyce's writing... is this Villa recording at all similar?

Your LP copy of "Louis The First" is definitely worth something. Not only have I heard over the years that it's difficult to find, but I remember paying a lot (something like $40) for a few of his later LP's, which I believe I purchased from a place called "Jazz Record Revival" about 15 years ago.

"Alone Together" is indeed a stunner. What ever happened to Brian Dunning?

"GIFT" is one of those obscurities that make me so thankful for the internet. I doubt I would have been able to purchase a copy (or even hear about its existence) otherwise. I'm quite a fan of Charlap too, so this disc was one I just HAD to have.

"No album has yet to capture Louis at the full extent of his powers..."

That is VERY true. "Overdrive", it seems to me, comes pretty close in terms of catching his true bebop side, but of course Louis is so much more than just a great soloist, and more than just a bebopper. I have a number of private recordings (audio as well as video), and I would say that it is perhaps not possible to capture ALL of Louis on one album/CD. One thing I really appreciate about Louis, though (and I always have) is the way he leads and inspires the lesser players that have shared the stage with him. He brings out their best, and I've never seen a musician "teach" onstage the way Louis does. The way he encourages players to break out of their ruts (especially by altering tempos, rhythms, and finishing tunes in creative ways) is really marvelous.

• 10 months later...

Hi Jim,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you on this! Problems with my computer etc.

Joycenotes is a work explicitly based on Ulysses it was commissioned for the centenary of Joyce's birth 1982 and I think performed that year at the Cork jazz festival. The work is in the form of a suite (not unlike Milesian Source), the movements will be recognised from their titles as based on characters and motifs (from Joyce's 'Linati Schemata' for Ulysses) namely 'Bronze by Gold', 'Nighttown','Stephen','WB Murphy','Molly' I hope Im not leaving out anything here. The work is scored for 16 piece jazz band?? I think at the very least anyway.The recording I have was made in Norway in 1992 with a great line up of Scandinavian players. Louis has a thorough understanding of Joyce the movement is inexorably towards Molly amidst readings from the book in Norwegian which makes it a bit of a trip. It was released on the Villa label in Norway I think its hard to get.It is a completely different recording to Milesian Source in feel sound and lack of electric pianos etc.

Brian Dunning went on to have a successful career as founder of Nightnoise a group which fused jazz and Celtic music I think.

I now have two copies of Louis the First(!)

Louis pulls off a brilliant solo on 'Conception' on the Shearing 1994 release with Nelson et al-check it out

I very nearly got to see Louis last weekend on a visit to Dublin. I noticed on a listings site he was playing in a pub on the outskirts of the centre so a toddled down there in pouring rain!

Arrived to find a pub with no sign of music, no advertising - this is quite normal in Ireland! Asking at the bar I ws told that Louis was playing upstairs...later. So a couple of pints of Guinness later I toddled upstairs...to find a pleasant flute/organ/drums trio!!! About two numbers in they apologised Louis couldn't make it...but he be there next week! No good to me! Enjoyed the trio though.

There's an item in this month's Jazz Review announcing that Louis will be touring in a group with Gilad Atzmon next year. A very odd combination - Atzmon is a superb Israeli sax player based in the UK. He's well known for his outspoken anti-Zionist political views; his last two records have been strongly polemical with use of Arab musicians and music. I associate Louis Stewart with the standards repetoire!

But then Atzmon has done some excellent sideways takes on standards so it could make for very interesting listening.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• 4 months later...

I received the following private message back on 20th Jan from one VILLADAWG:

Hi lads, I am happy to inform you that the villa CD's are available again, together with a fine new Cd called "Core Business" with Louis and a norwegian trio. It was recorded last october (2004). Louis did a couple of gigs i Norway at hte same time. I was fortunate enough to be at both gigs and the recording.

The Villa operation has been down for a while due to other commitments. It is now distributing worldwide.

Keep swingin'

I've not yet located a place where these can be obtained.

Any clues?

Hi

The Villa catalogue can be viewed at www.villarecords.com. Our distributor is Musikkoperatorene.no. The US agent is Qualiton. Please let me know if any problems occurs in obtaining any of our CD.s: Good News, String Time, Joycenotes, Road Song or Core Business.

I was in Dublin during Easter, and met up with Louis. He is playing a gig at The Hafslund Mansion in Sarpsborg , Norway with the Core Business quartet on June 4.

It is a public event. At present we are working on several other opportunities in Oslo, Horten and Kragerø for gigs on dates around the June 4 gig.

Louis and I will also be recording a duo album on June 6 and 7 in Tønsberg, Norway.

Yours

Knut Mikalsen

CEO Villa Records AS

• 6 months later...

Hi

The Villa catalogue can be viewed at www.villarecords.com. Our distributor is Musikkoperatorene.no. The US agent is Qualiton. Please let me know if any problems occurs in obtaining any of our CD.s: Good News, String Time, Joycenotes, Road Song or Core Business.

I was in Dublin during Easter, and met up with Louis. He is playing a gig at The Hafslund Mansion in Sarpsborg , Norway with the Core Business quartet on June 4.

It is a public event. At present we are working on several other opportunities in Oslo, Horten and Kragerø for gigs on dates around the June 4 gig.

Louis and I will also be recording a duo album on June 6 and 7 in Tønsberg, Norway. 

Yours

Knut Mikalsen

CEO Villa Records AS

Hi-

I met Louis last night and he told me about the CD you recorded together. Is it available yet? How do I get it? As I'm sure you know, he doesn't boast about or even mention his recordings very often- but he sounded pretty happy about this one!

Keep swingin',

Mark

Hi

Yours

Knut Mikalsen

CEO Villa Records AS

Hi-

I met Louis last night and he told me about the CD you recorded together. Is it available yet? How do I get it? As I'm sure you know, he doesn't boast about or even mention his recordings very often- but he sounded pretty happy about this one!

Keep swingin',

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, the two-guitars-only CD with Louis and myself arrived on Friday(Villa records VRCD 007)! Release date is Nov 7. It can be downloaded from musiconline.no, or bought from musikkoperatorene.no. As can the rest of Louis Villa recordings.

There are twelve songs on the CD , including two solo pieces by Louis. The booklet includes a transcription from one of Louis' solos. The music is some latin, some nordic compositions (Lars Gullin, Allan Botschinsky) and some lesser played standards plus a couple of Wes' tunes.

Best wishes from Knut Mikalsen