Van Helsing

Just got back from a viewing of "Van Helsing." Reminded me of the sort of matinee movies I saw as a young 'un, but with of course an MTV seasoning. . . . (No MTV when I was a youngstah!)

You won't need to use your brain much, but nice visuals, including the stars Hugh Jackman (a gal I went with was all aflutter) and Kate Beckinsale (beauteous indeed!)

I definitely want to go see this one, just too much going on this weekend for me to make it. But it's on the "want to see list"

I still haven't had a chance to go see Kill Bill Vol. 2 yet and that's another one I'd like to catch in the theaters instead of on TV.

And to what Lon mentioned, Kate Beckinsale is a B-A-B-E!!!

Yeah...I want to see this too. I love this stuff.

On a related note. I picked up a dvd (2 dvd set) in costco yesterday for $18.99.

DRACULA: The Legacy Collection, it contains a segment where VAN HELSING director Stephen Summers explains how the original Drac films inspired his move. It also includes the following:

DRACULA - the original Bela Lugosi flick

DRACULA - the Spanish language version filmed on the same set, with the same script, at the same time (but at night) with Hispanic actors. It was like an alternate take for me. As a man whose Spanish is very rudimentary, I found the movie easy to follow if you know the plot well enough....and the women are VERY attractive.

DRACULA'S DAUGHTER

SON OF DRACULA

HOUSE OF DRACULA

I think that pretty good for $18.99. These old flicks seem campy at this point, but really there is a lot happening and a lot implied.

Dracula's Daughter is full of interesting lesbian overtones...especially considering it came out in 1936. I actually really like Son Of Dracula alot, you can see alot of ideas that first came out in that film that still survive in the "lore" to this day. It's a little odd having Lon Chaney Jr. as Dracula...but interesting nonetheless.