Gibson L-4c

zizala

Hey all....

Still lurking...every day!

I can't seem to get a good answer to this on all the guitar forums I visit but seems we have a few archtop guitar players here so will ask your opinions.

I have an opportunity to pick up a '50 L-4c in extra fine condition. It hardly looks played at all. The price is right. Now I've always loved the ways these look...this model is like an ES-175 with a carved spruce top and no electronics. I can use the cutaway.

Anyone have one or play one? I know these have laminated back and sides but am hoping that the carved top helps make the acoustic sound decent, just because I'm used to my older acoustic non-plywood Gibsons. What I'd probably do with this is keep it as original as possible by getting a spare pickguard to attach a floating pickup. So even if the plywood back makes it a lesser acoustic it might just make a great amplified jazzer. Pickup suggestions are welcome, assuming I end up going for the guitar.

I've got to decide soon or this will be offered elsewhere so any thoughts would help

me to get some clarity and stop spinning this around in my head.

Thanks.

ziz, it's a great guitar, has a sound a bit unique from the L-7, not better or worse, just a little different. I've played them, but not owned one. May not be quite as loud as the L-7, but then again, each guitar is different, so it could be louder. As far as pickups for it, you won't want to cut the body for hard mounted p-ups, and I think DeArmonds and their ilk suck (my $.02 - I'll probably get flamed for that! ;) ), I'd try to get a Gibson Johnny Smith set, the one with the mini-humbucker mounted to the pickguard, pickguard mounts on the side to the binding,and one small screw in the top near the joining of the cutaway and the neck, probably where the existing guard is, anyway, you'll just be swapping guards and not cutting the guitar.

I've forgotten what other guitars you have, and I'm sure you're aware of this, but the thing that would be kind of "special" (and an important excuse to use in case of a challenge from a wife or a girlfriend ;)) is that the L-4 has a smaller (16 1/4 X 20 1/4) body than an L-7 or an L-5 (17 X 21); and also a shorter scale (24 3/4, instead of 25 1/2). Very comfortable measurements, IMO. The 24 3/4" scale is a delightful change of pace from the standard full-sized 25 1/2.

I'm not sure about the attachment of a Johnny Smith pickup. You may have options, but I thought that pretty much all J.S. pickups were designed with a clamp that screws onto the end of the neck on both the treble and bass sides. Great sounding pickups, for sure. I've had some DeArmonds that sounded very good, and some that didn't. Overall, I think they're a pretty safe choice, from the top of the line 1100 (adjustable poles), to the rhythm chief, to the guitar mike. I might even go with the older type mount with the long bar that's attached with a clamp below the bridge. No drilling necessary that way.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks Jim and Herb,

Yes I do like the 16" body and short scale. I've got a couple of 16" oldies in a '29 L-4 with the round soundhole and a '34 L-12.

But for me, it just wouldn't be right to put a mag pickup on one of those. Now an amplified L-4c....that seems properly in balance with the universe! A couple of the dealers I use have the Kent Armstrong Alnico and PAF pickups as well as the Benedetto S6 but I have yet to be versed in the differences these might have.

I do have a Schertler DYN-G pickup on order to try on the acoustic archtops. It attaches to the soundboard of the guitar with an adhesive putty and though it can be placed anywhere, most folks put them right behind the bridge under the tailpiece. The putty is inert and not supposed to harm the finish. I'm not particularly well versed in how these pickups work but they are a type of surface mounted mic that picks up top vibrations to put it simply. What's nice is that you can easily move it from guitar to guitar. Lots of Selmer/Maccaferri style players use this type of pickup and its supposed to produce a good representation of the acoustic tone.

Back to topic.......My problem with this L-4c is that I just bought a guitar, I really shouldn't have another just yet and don't want to sell any off to make room!

But it's unique and different......they all are.... ;)

Edited by zizala

• 2 weeks later...

My rule of thumb on anu vintage guitar, if it looks new, you have to ask why. Maybe the owner/s in the past didn't like the sound and didn't play it much. When I was playing everyday back in the 80's I bought a vintage guitar, just because of the age and price and almost zero zings or scratches. The sound was so awful.

Yes hardbopjazz, thats definitely something to think about.

After digging a little deeper I found that it wasn't as "mint" as I first believed...maybe even some refinishing issues....but you are right.... couple that with having to have it shipped across the country just to find out whether the tone is dead or alive was just too risky.

.....and now for something completely different.......

bought a '33 Epiphone Blackstone instead. Small bodied and archaic....why it's almost a banjo but makes a sound I can use!