Alex Blake

John B

I saw Randy Weston in concert Saturday night and had a great time! It was one of the best jazz shows I have been to in a long time. While the whole band was excellent, I had a revelation watching Alex Blake on bass. I have never seen anyone play upright in the way he did. He was seated throughout the entire performance, although, a few times, it seemed as if he was getting so animated he would take flight. His style reminded me more of an electric bassist. I have never really taken notice of his work, although I have a few discs that he appears on. I will need to remedy this asap. I purchased his live disc with Pharoah Sanders after the gig and am really enjoying it. Does anyone have recommendations for other albums where his work on the bass really shines through?

If Randy brings this group anywhere near you I highly recommend making every effort to see them. (Plus, they were selling his Mosaic select for $35 at the show. I couldn't resist and now own my first select.)

Edited by John B