With the acccelerating number of jazz..

wolff

performances/albums becoming public domain around the rest of the world, I wanted to get your thoughts on the consequences/ramifications this will have on the consumer/original labels.

I have read nothing from the owners of Blue Note/Fantasy/Capital etc. regarding this.

Edited by wolff

My first thought is the average consumer will buy what is cheapest, without looking to see who issued the CD or what the source is. In about 3 years the entire Blue Note 1500 series will be public domain.

Will the tapes be worthless?

Other than a few audiophile labels who will pay to have access to the master tapes?

I have a feeling the original labels have no plan of action to compete.

Many of the early Blue Notes of Miles, Monk, Silver, etc.. are already re-issued by public domain labels. Is this cutting into their sales? When the shelf space goes to the PD labels, because they are selling, will the original labels be out of business? Will they stop re-issuing titles?

Will original label executives start going to work for the PD labels?

I have a feeling the entire jazz re-issue scene will be completely and utterly different in just 1 or 2 years.