Israeli Jazz- free tunes!

Over the past months, I've been exchanging some emails with a few of the board member regarding Israeli Jazz.

Following these discussions, I thought it will be interesting to let you glipse on the Israeli Jazz scene. Admittedly, not as vibrant as in the US and several of the European countries, but still has some excellent talents. Some of which are working in NYC as well as in Israel.

My plan is to upload one track of a musician/a group on my workplace's server for a week or so.

So, here we go...

Edited by White Lightning

Abatte & Yitchak (Isaac) Yadid – Batti

Abatte breehon, 33, Saxophones & Vocals, is an Ethiopian Jew who immigrated to Israel in 1999.

Yitchak Yadid, 33, Piano, is a Jerusalemite.

Together they combine traditional Ethiopian music – melodies and scales/modes with Jazz. They call it “EthioJazz”.

“Batti” is both the name of an Ethiopian town and an Ethiopian musical mode. The solos are in the Batti mode. Batti mode is used in songs of praise to rulers and also in songs of yearning for a beloved. The song is about (so I’m told) a man going to the town Batti, and longing for his woman there.

Listen to Batti

I am not an expert on Israeli jazz, but in my humble opinion the best jazz musician currently plays and lives in Israel is Daniel Zamir. He is a young guy (24), he sound great (alto & soprano sax), he is very original and not trying to be something he is not. So far he recorded three albums on Tzadik an I am sure he has a very promising future.

Edited by B. Goren.

Next we have Slava Ganelin, pianist & Keyboardist, 60, who immigrated to Israel from the soviet Unision (Lithuania) about 17 years ago.

While in the Soviet Union, Slava formed the ground breaking Ganelin Trio - a unique free style Jazz that incorporated some folk music.

After his immigration to Israel, Slava teaches and composes and also perform concert around the world. He's considered one of the most beloved and most appreciated Jazz/Modern Music here.

Slava's next project to be issued in a few months is an Israeli-French collaboration, to make a "classic" quartet:

Aharon Kaminski - One of Israel's Jazz dinosaurs - one of the first Jazz musician in Israel.

Hugh Hooper - Bass (Soft Machine, anyone remembers?)

Pierre Olivier Govin - Sax

http://www.miorecords.com/1.mp3

Edited by White Lightning