Greg Osby - Green Mill - Chicago 7/30-31

ejp626

Is anyone going to see Greg Osby at the Green Mill tonight? I am planning on going. I usually stick for the first two sets, though I might only make the first one tonight (it has been a long week). I generally sit at the bar and will be wearing jeans and a gray shirt.

I saw 1.5 sets on Friday. It was definitely enjoyable, though Osby wasn't quite as explosive as the last time I saw him. His new piano player is Megumi Yonezawa, who is good, but no Jason Moran. The bassist was good. I wasn't that impressed by the drummer, mostly because his exagerrated jazz posture, slouching over the drums, swaying, grimacing, etc. Honestly, it looked like he was a hunchback with constipation. That shouldn't matter but it did, and I did my best not to look at him. I also thought his drum solo on Aligator Boogaloo was wack. It really did kind of ruin an otherwise good performance.

Let's see, in the second set, they also played East St. Louis Toodle-O, which Osby has been playing pretty regularly. I wasn't that familiar with the material in the first set.

Many of you probably know this, but Osby's website gregosby.com has a number of MP3s of complete shows. What I didn't realize was that he has added an entire second page of more recent shows, including two shows from 2004. I think that is pretty cool. They do take forever to download though.

ejp626, did you see him last year at the Green Mill? Megumi was playing with him then. I think she's been with him for a few years now.

Its funny you mention that about the drummer, because when it comes to Osby shows, I've always felt that his choices in drummers could be better. He needs someone who can hang with those irregular compositions he plays.

No, I wasn't able to go last year. I tend to get to the Green Mill to see Osby every second year. The same thing with Von Freeman and Ed Petersen around the winter holidays. I couldn't go last year, but maybe this year.

I mean the drummer wasn't terrible backing up the band, but I thought his solo was weak. He just struck me as someone who indulged in jazz cliches (here what a jazz drummer ought to look like) more than was healthy.