Granz' Basie Jam Sessions

clandy44

These are also available fron Ocium, both recordings on one disc. These were originally two LPs Jam Session #3 & #4 , though from Ocium's approach they call it Jam Session #1.

You can get these for about$12.00.

Ocium, also released another set which was the next Granz Jam Session, combined with Jazz Studio one.. Not a Granz organised event, but one which I believe to be the very first deliberately studio arranged jam. This I think is it's very first CD issue.

There is a box set of the Granz sessions scheduled for the fall.

Any of these will be a lot les than a Japanese tssue, and unless you have to have a replica LP, I'd settle for the Ociums, or wait for the verve.

Sound on the Ociums is fine.. but then I'm not a SACD addict

The cover art is a bit lame, hardly David Stone Martin, but then the original verve DSM cover wasn't one of his best.

JamSessions.jpg

Edited by P.D.

Then seek this one out

OCM0045%20JAM%20SESSION%20TWO.jpg

It's the Granz Jam Session #5.. Jammin' for Clef & Rose Room

Hampton, Roy, Flip, Illinois, Oscar, Ray and Buddy

Not as good as the Basies, but still good. Jammin' a fast take on Rhythm changes seems a little fast for Hodges

It's combined with Jazz Studio One

A bit of a strange combo.. but excellent session

Joe Newman, Bennie Green, Paul Quinichette< Frank Foster, Hank Jones, Johnny Smith, , Eddie Jones and Kenny Clarke

Tenderley and a blues.. Let's Split

This has not been on CD, and a clean vinyl copy is not that easy either.

Guarantee if you like the Granz Jams, this will be right up your alley.

And you can have them both for the price of one Japanese CD

I suspect Ocium will continue to release the Granz sessions.. and as Jam Sessio #1 & #2 were the Parkers. and have been issued often, verve will have to pull something special out of the hat to get me to buy theirs. According to the dicographies there is only one " unissued" Jam, recorded much later than the others weith Sweets, Pres and Jummy Rushing... but I doubt we will see that one.

There's a thread on the board about the upcoming verve set which lists all that Granz recorded.

According to the dicographies there is only one " unissued" Jam, recorded much later than the others weith Sweets, Pres and Jummy Rushing... but I doubt we will see that one.

There's a thread on the board about the upcoming verve set which lists all that Granz recorded.

Pres, Sweets and Rushing for Verve... Mmm... Invisible donuts...