Monk tribute album

ejp626

Perhaps I am completely misremembering this, but I am convinced that in the mid 1980s, there was an album of Monk compositions played by others but one of the songs was Nice Work if You Can Get It (perhaps covering Monk playing Gershwin?). I listened to this on cassette in 1987 or 1988, and I think it was on all the other formats. I've seen and collected most of the Monk tributes, but haven't seen anything with this Gershwin piece (and no, I am not thinking of Monk's Work). Have I completely lost it? Thanks in advance.

Eric

Jessica Williams recorded this (solo piano) on an album of Monk called "The Monk In Me" that was only issued on cassette.

Ran Blake recorded this (solo piano) on an album of Monk called "Epistrophy" - label is Soul Note - don't recall ever seeing a Soul Note cassette.

Both of these were slightly later than your time frame.

Was it a solo piano version? Any other clues?

Mike

This was a full-length compilation with many different artists. I can't recall too much of it, but I am pretty sure it had Round Midnight, Epistrophy, In Walked Bud and perhaps Nutty. Most of the songs were groups, but there might have been some solo piano. I find it strange that I have not been able to track it down. It definitely is not the two-LP tribute "That's the Way I Feel Now," but it was something like that. Maybe it really was just a fever dream.

Might it have been the Tribute to Thelonious Monk by Errol Parker on Sahara? Solo piano and Errol Parker's obscure enough that I don't see any online disco references but I think it came out on LP and cassette. I'll have to check the LP at home but I seem to remember that tune on it; the overall release was notable for me in that there were no Monk compositions on it but Parker seemed to be demonstrating how Monk's sensibility had filtered into all aspects of his piano playing. I'll dig it up tonight ...

------------------------------------------------------------> Nou

Just for the record (appropriate enough for a discography forum), the Errol Parker album (1982) doesn't include Nice Work but is recommended as an otherwise well-considered if unusual Monk tribute if you can find it.

N.

====

Nou Dadoun

604-734-2828

dadoun at cs.ubc.ca

The A-Trane on the air since 1982 | CFRO 102.7 FM, Vancouver BC

Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://www.coopradio.org/stream.html