Things That Make You Go Hmmmmmmmmmm

I was walking down Market over to another one of our other offices and two women, one behind the other, in battery operated wheelchairs were tearing down the sidewalk faster than speeding bullets. The woman bringing up the rear was maniacally laughing nonstop. I'm not sure if they were drag racing but they seem to be having quite a good time.

Things That Make You Go Hmmmmmmmmmm

Yesterday, at around 5:00 p.m., I visited the supermarket. (Very unusual for me to shop at that time of day. I usually wait until around 8:30 p.m. as I HATE crowds. Some people say that I HATE people. Hate is a strong word. :w ) I pull into the lot and park. (As my car is still fairly new, I park waaaay in the back of the lot.) Before I can open my door, a rather scruffy man (on foot) approaches my car and signals that he has something on his mind. I'm still in my seat, windows up, doors locked, me wearing sunglasses, with my usual expression on my face. (People often accuse me of looking mad -- angry, that is - not insane. At least I assume they mean angry.) The man comes to the driver's side door and through the window, his face just inches from mine, asks with a slight (creepy) grin on his face: "How do you feel about black people?"

NOW I get angry and bark: "I'd rather not be harassed when I simply want to buy some groceries!"

His next words? "My car won't start. Can you give me a jump?"

As I was a bit shaken, I wasn't able to immediately answer so the man quickly approached another driver.

Without shopping, I exited the lot and went home.

I returned to the supermarket that night at my usual time and inside, bumped into a young lady I hadn't seem in several months. After a bit of chit chat, I tell her of my earlier aborted visit and the questions asked by (I feared) my would-be assailant.

Near the end of the story, my friend asks, "Was he black?"

I answer, "Yes."

Am I a bad person?

PS: 3 pack of Brita filters: $16.99 :tup

Edited by Chaney