van der graaf generator

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

saw a few albums by this band in the record store.

fripp guesting on guitar on one or two.

looked interesting but i wasn't sure what to make of them.

looked like they played some longer form songs-sometimes in suite form.

overall gave off an early king crimson-ey vibe from the packaging and song titles and fripp i guess.

anyone have any opinions of what they sound like?

i would like to get into some good jazz influenced prog ("lizards" is halfway there) but don't know where to look. is this band a place to check?

Very Gothic in sound! Had a slightly free-jazz sax sound in places - well, blow-torch! 'Swing' they didn't!

'Pawn Hearts' (mentioned above) is a marvellous, nightmarish album. I suspect it will sound very dated to new ears. But I play it occasionally for its nostalgic value.

The albums from the mid 70's are slightly more jazzy than the early albums. Check out Still Life or Godbluff. The basic instrumentation is Keys (organ and electric piano) saxophones and drums. And of course Peter Hammill's vocals, which can take some time to get used to if you arent ready for them. Still Life might be the best place to start, it eases into the overall sound of the band, from quiet to loud over a few songs and then back again. Of course, I am a huge fan and have the Box Set and most of Peter Hammill's solo albums!! :excited:

I was listening to a couple of Procol Harum albums a few days back.

Made me think of Van der Graf.

Van der Graf are like a severely depressed version of Procol Harum who have been through electric-shock treatment and other attempted clinical cures.

Given that Procol were not exactly jolly...

Guest ariceffron

BULLSHIT THERE IS NO COMPARISON-- IF PROCOL IS MOZART THAN VAN DER GRAAF IS JOHN FUCKING CAGE OR WHATNOT. THERE IS ABSOUTELY NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO OTHER THAN THEY ARE BOTH BRITSH PROGRESSIVE GROUPS.

The distinguishing characteristic of VGG is Peter Hammill's voice. Imagine Peter Gabriel times a 100- meaning that it's very dramatic and expressive, almost exaggerated. If you can dig "weird" singing, then it's worth checking it out. I only have and am familiar with H to He Who Am the Only One and Pawn Hearts, considered the early classics.