Gianluigi Trovesi Nonet at Bath

(Apologies...another copy from AAJ but this concert was too good not to gush about here too)

Oh, wow!

This was a real musical event. I've been a Trovesi fan for a few years since a few people over on Blue Note recommended me some Italian jazz. I'd seen him once before as part of a large orchestra ('La Banda') where his part was obviously limited. So the chance to hear him in full flow could not be missed.

He performed his extended piece 'Round About a Midsummer Night's Dream' that was recorded for Enja a few years back. Quite simply one of the wonderful concerts of my life (and I've seen and heard a fair few).

Imagine a performance with two violins and a cello on your left playing baroque phrases (often quotes from classical pieces); a Hendrix inspired electric guitarist; a virtuoso tambourine player (I kid you not...he was amazing!) and accordion player linking it all into Italian folk music; and a jazz based bass player with Trovesi improvising over the top on clarinet, alto and bass clarinet.

Music of immense variety and richness, steeped in European traditions yet given zest by what it took from jazz. And comedy as well! (Comedy! Comedy! In a jazz performance! Isn't jazz about furrowing your brow and being 'intense'). Said tambourine player - I wish I knew his name...the people behind me talked as if he was a big star in Italy - did some hilarious vocalisations in Italian. Havn't a clue what he was on about but his hamming with the drummer was marvellous.

A wonderfully warm, vibrant performance that had the Bath audience in raptures. One of those occasions when you knew everyone in the hall had had the time of their lives and the beams on the musicians faces showed they knew it!

Anyone (with musical curiosity) unfamiliar with Trovesi should check out his many, many discs pronto.

Those who already know him might like to know he has a new Octet recording out on ECM. I secured a copy at the gig. I'll let you know what it's like when I've listened a few times.

We live in a time of musical riches!

:party::party:

Fantastic gig - I'd seen Trovesi several years ago featured in Enrico Rava's 'Carmen' so was expecting the goods but this was even better than expected. This one had everything - great arrangements, wonderful solos (I liked the work of Trovesi, the guitarist and the tambourine maestro) and fantastic humour. Almost up there in the Sun Ra class ! :)

According to my listings the tambourine player is a guy by the name of Carlo Rizzo. Those tambourine breaks had to be seen to be believed (a first in jazz?). A colleague also reckons that he saw him on TV one year on the Eurovision Song Contest, or something of this ilk. Certainly, that Marcel Marceau routine with the audience participation looked very familiar :g

Awesome !!

:rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder