Woody Allen - jazz musician

Chrome

I saw something about Woody and his New Orleans Jazz Band going on tour, and I know about his interest in jazz and the movie "Sweet and Lowdown," etc., but can he actually play?

When I lived in the New York metro area over 10 years ago, Woody regularly performed at Michael's Pub on Monday evening with a Dixieland band. I did catch him on one occasion. Not great, but quite serviceable on clarinet playing in that style.

If you think he isn't serious about music watch the movie ' Wild Man Blues'.

I saw this movie and while he may be have interest in the music, he's a pretty mediocre player. You know people go to see him out of celebrity curiousity.

In the film people come out of his perfomances saying "he's a genius!". Genius filmmaker, yes. Genius musician, hardly; acceptable plaintive Bechet-like sound, not a great sense of time, little or no variation in his interpretation and improvisations, little or no interaction with the band (on or off the stand). The only guy he's comfortable talking to (if I remember correctly) is the banjo player who relays information to the other band members (obviously just hired for the tour- the trombonist is Dan Barrett, the trad-style player who records on Concord). The musicians seem visibly uncomfortable much of the time.

We are interested because he's Woody. Any non-celebrity musician who played at that level would not even be on the radar, no doubt.

And anyone who's spent time on the road must laugh at his high-maintenance lifestyle requirements and incessant whining. He's "roughing it" in luxury suites (not sure where the other players are staying) and he's still not happy. Sheesh.

Believe me, I'm a big fan of his films, but I'm not impressed with him as a musician. It's the old "famous rich person dabbles in alternative art form" story that more often than not is a disappointment. I'm glad he loves the music, but his receiving high musical acclaim just because he's "Woody Allen" is kind of an insult to the musicians who have been in the trenches their whole life. But that's the way the "business" of music works, I guess.

Edited by Free For All

I'm glad he loves the music, but his receiving high musical acclaim just because he's "Woody Allen" is kind of an insult to the musicians who have been in the trenches their whole life. But that's the way the "business" of music works, I guess.

i've known about woody's jazz gig for many years, but i was unaware that he'd ever received the "high musical acclaim" you refer to. could you please tell me who has lavished him with this kind of praise?

I was afraid this would piss some people off. :o

I apologize for ruffling any feathers. Regarding the "high acclaim", I was referring to the film "Wild Man Blues"; what I saw in the film was that promoters and concertgoers who were singing Woody's musical praises were motivated to do so more from being star-struck than for any actual musical reasons. IMHO.

Also, they don't make too many documentaries about non-celebrity musical hobbyists. IMHO a music documentary does create a bit of a higher standard, especially with as much of the concert footage as they presented. Should I, who am a musician, watch those performances (especially with the high level of playing by the professional musicians who accompanied him) and refrain from making a musical assessment? It's hard to quiet the critic in ourselves sometimes. Sometimes I hate that.

I'm glad he enjoys playing, of course he has a right to do as he pleases. And I love him as an actor and director. I guess if I hung out at Michael's Pub and watched him have fun it would be endearing and I'd probably not say anything bad. I usually cut friends more slack than strangers.

I really think this was to me more of an issue of celebrity treatment by fans and media, and I'm sorry if I offended. I didn't mean this to be a big deal, just one person's opinion. I really try to keep my contributions on the positive side here, and I almost deleted that post. Now that I reread it, it was a little much. As I've said before, it's often too hard to make oneself understood through the written word alone. Damn, I don't want to be pissing off the New Yorkers!