Roger Miller

Shawn

I have never been a fan of country music...in fact it falls into the same category as root canals for me. But man, I make an exception when it comes to Roger Miller. This guy was just TOO friggin' hip.

He's almost a country music version of Louis Jordan. On the surface, it appears to be novelty music...but underneath there's a whole wonderful world of crazy/deep meaning. Regardless, it's just plain good music and always cheers me up.

Favorite Song: "My Uncle Used To Love Me But She Died"

Shawn I agree totallly. I think he's wildly under-rated - to my mind he's the real American troubador (forget Dylan or Woody Guthrie or whoever).

Some of his tunes are wickedly funny, others have some really devastating pathos, some have both (Dang Me).

Fave tunes: Hitchiker, Burma Shave, I Get Up Early In The Morning. Little Green Apples, Sorry Willie, When Two Worlds Collide, Lock Stock And Tearrops, Chug-A-Lug (Best Drinking Song Ever).

Count me as a fan too. I saw the 'King of the Road - The Genius of Roger Miller' box at a cheap price and picked it up on a whim. To say the least, I have been very impressed by the quality of the songwriting on this set. All in all, an excellent collection.

• 3 weeks later...