Help Pick out my CD Player

J Larsen

My cd player seems to have been a casuality in my move to a new apartment downtown a few weeks back (no internet access in the new place, hence my re-disappearance from the board).

Here are the options I've scouted out:

NAD 521BEE for $285

NAD 542 for $475

I have a real job now, but I was poor for so long that $475 still seems like a *lot* to spend on a cd player. Anyone know if the 542 is hugely better than the 521? The rest of my system is fairly low-end: HK receiver and Infinity floor-standing speakers. No plans to upgrade either anytime soon; I'd rather save up for a nice vacation. Given these constraints, would I even hear the difference between these two models?

Any other suggestions in the price range, or is NAD pretty much the way to go for <$500?

I know there are a few cd player threads kicking around, but my situation is a bit different. I'm not looking for a machine for occasional use. Sadly enough, at least 90% of my home listening is cd-based these days. I had to pack up the records to keep the cat from getting to them, and now it's just too much of a hassle digging them out. So I'm looking for something to use three to four hours per day for hopefully the next three or so years.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

It might sound a bit naive, but a few years back, I got a fairly basic black box Kenwood CD player with a 5 CD tray. I'm sure it wouldn't be acceptable to the magazine reviewers (you know, the people who rave about types of connecting wires etc.), but really, it's a very nice deck. It has a very good remote, with lots of buttons, and it will talk to my Kenwood amp through a connection (I forget the name of it). The sound, which is the main thing, is perfect, to my ears. I've used it a lot, and have not had a minute's trouble with it. It cost about $160, from a discount store.

Sticking with your question (there are dozens and dozens of CD players in these price ranges), and considering your other equipment, I would go with the 521 BEE. The main difference between the 2 CD players is the BEE has a 20 bit converter and the 542 a 24 bit converter. I don't think you will notice any difference. Also, I've read that the BEE models have excellent musicality. Whatever you pick, enjoy the music! ;)

I think that either CD player would be great. My NAD C541i has served me verrry well. I chose it after extensively auditioning many CD players, several costing much more than my NAD C541i. I can't say that any sounded consistently better to me (all but two were lacking). So if I had to get a new CD player today, I'd probably get the 542 (but I'd check out the 521BEE too).

Thanks for the replies. I bought the 542 while the board was down. I found it for $425 inc. tax and shipping from AudioLab, which was only about $100 more than I was going to pay for the 521 w/ tax. The sad thing is that I've been so busy with work and school that I haven't even had a chance to take it out of the box yet! Can't wait to hear it this weekend.

I bought a NAD C542 a few weeks ago and am immensely happy with it. The RRP over here is £350 but I picked one up for £280 which is probably pretty close to $545. As things tend to be cheaper in the States than here maybe if you shop round you might be able to do a bit better on the price but maybe you've done this already. Here's a link to a review:

NAD C542

I've only had a few hours with the 542, but I'm happy so far. I had no idea how aggressive my old Phillips player was. It really boomed the bass compared to the NAD. The NAD has a much cleaner, pure sound. Can't wait until I've played it enough to get the capacitors warmed up so that I can hear what it can really do.

Thanks for the advice.

PS: Does the NAD have a slightly noisy tray, or is that just me? I feel like I'm hearing the sound of the disc spinning a little more than I should.

My NAD 541i also replaced an old Phillips, which exhibited a decided peak in the bass, as you describe. That old Phillips also gave an unnatural sheen to the highs and flattened the soundstage. With the NAD, all is in proper balance. :)

I keep my audio components enclosed in a cabinet, so I can't speak to the tray noise issue, except to say that my DVD player (a Panasonic) was mechanically noisier when I got it over a year ago; it's much quieter today (YMMV).