New Eric Alexander CD?

JazzRules

Two as a leader, one as a co-leader and several as a guest:

532077.jpg

Eric Alexander - Dead Center (HighNote 7131) Sept 14

-- with Harold Mabern: piano; John Weber: bass; Joe Farnsworth: drums

Eric Alexander Quartet - Gentle Ballads (Venus 35335) Oct -- Mike Ledonne, J. Farnsworth And J. Webber

535485.jpg

One For All - Blueslike (Criss Cross 1256) Sept 21

-- Eric Alexander on tenor sax, Jim Rotondi on trumpet, Steve Davis on trombone, with pianist David Hazeltine, bassist Peter Washington, and drummer Joe Farnsworth

Jim Snidero - Blueslike (Milestone) Oct 12

-- Jim Snidero (alto sax) Dave Hazeltine (piano), Paul Gill (bass) and Billy Drummond (drums) plus guest Eric Alexander (tenor sax) on half the tracks; six compositions by Snidero plus two standards

Edited by alankin

What is it about Eric Alexander's playing that so divides us into two camps? There are people on this Board who love his playing, and others who can't stand him. I personally am an Eric fan, but there have been threads where this guy has been trashed. I guess each to his or her own, but I know of few recent players where people's opinions vary so widely.

...I guess each to his or her own, but I know of few recent players where people's opinions vary so widely.

I think Joshua Redman share the same faith.

As for me, I enjoy Eric's playing, his fire and his mastery of the axe. I don't feel that his technical ability hampers his way of expressing himself. In any case, one can easily hear his advancement over the years. I think he's beginning to find his own voice. I'll be looking for his next release.

532077.jpg

Eric Alexander - Dead Center (HighNote 7131) Sept 14

-- with Harold Mabern: piano; John Weber: bass; Joe Farnsworth: drums

Eric Alexander Quartet - Gentle Ballads (Venus 35335) Oct -- Mike Ledonne, J. Farnsworth And J. Webber

535485.jpg

One For All - Blueslike (Criss Cross 1256) Sept 21

-- Eric Alexander on tenor sax, Jim Rotondi on trumpet, Steve Davis on trombone, with pianist David Hazeltine, bassist Peter Washington, and drummer Joe Farnsworth

Jim Snidero - Blueslike (Milestone) Oct 12

-- Jim Snidero (alto sax) Dave Hazeltine (piano), Paul Gill (bass) and Billy Drummond (drums) plus guest Eric Alexander (tenor sax) on half the tracks; six compositions by Snidero plus two standards

I can see he's been pretty busy of late. Wow. I guess the word is out.

He can appear on my next CD anytime he wants.

...I guess each to his or her own, but I know of few recent players where  people's opinions vary so widely.

I think Joshua Redman share the same faith.

As for me, I enjoy Eric's playing, his fire and his mastery of the axe. I don't feel that his technical ability hampers his way of expressing himself. In any case, one can easily hear his advancement over the years. I think he's beginning to find his own voice. I'll be looking for his next release.

Redman is a fine player too, another who seems to just get better year after year.

Straight ahead sax is an incredible artform, no contrieved dissonance needed.

[...]

I can see he's been pretty busy of late. Wow. I guess the word is out.

He can appear on my next CD anytime he wants.

And I didn't list several other recent guest appearances...

I like some of his recordings more than others. Not sure about the new HighNote yet...

I'm a booster of ERic Alexander. He certainly has the chops. If anything, he overplays, but I always find him imaginative and pushing the envelope.

Also, you get the added bonus of Harold Mabern, who is just outstanding on the new CD (th Highnote) and ERic's other work. I had the opportunity to see Mabern at the Iridium, when he played with George Coleman, with the rest of Eric's band.