Lord CD-ROM 5.0

EKE BBB

Just received this email:

Now Available! The Jazz Discography CD-ROM 5.0

We are pleased to announce that The Jazz Discography CD-ROM Version 5.0 has now published. If you have bought previous versions of The Jazz Discography CD-ROM you are automatically eligible to purchase Version 5.0 at half the published price. But if you order your copy by December 15, 2004 you can earn an additional 10% discount. See the Pricing Page on our web site.

More recording sessions, more leaders and groups.

The significantly upgraded Version 5.0 of our popular CD-ROM includes the enhanced search functions previously available on version 4.4 only by download. In addition, included are almost 9000 new recording sessions and updates from our constantly expanding database. It also includes the most complete and up-to-date leader discographies ever published of Louis Armstrong, Count Basie and Duke Ellington, as well as Benny Goodman, which has recently been completely revised and updated. CD-ROM Version 5.0 includes over 29,000 leaders, over 155,000 recording sessions, almost 900,000 musician entries and almost 900,000 tune entries.

More convenient and user-friendly.

The search features of the CD-ROM Version 5.0 will allow you to find precisely the recording information you want, more quickly and more easily than before. You can copy and paste session data into your own records and, if you want hard-copy of the data you find, you can print up to 50 recording sessions at one time.

More search options than ever before.

CD-ROM Version 5.0 has been programmed to provide a virtual endless variety of advanced searches. Searches can even be made by individual word (e.g. "City") or a combination of two words (e.g. "Musician" + "Country"). Search for a record label or just a general date. Every field in the database can be searched individually or in groups with a selection dialog box. Also included are leader, musician and tune indexes which provide "big picture" summaries of each category.

You can find more details of these and other new features on the CD-ROM page on our web site at www.lordisco.com.

Save an additional 10% by ordering now!

See the Pricing Page on our website. Order by December 15, 2004 and you will save 10%. Order your copy by visiting the "Orders" page at our web site at www.lordisco.com.

Also Available - Book Volume 34 (Addendum Vol. 3)

The third addendum volume (Volume 34) of The Jazz Discography has now published. It contains 604 pages of recording sessions by leader names from Jean-Paul Bourelly to Bob Casanova.

This addendum volume contains sessions not previously published in earlier volumes of The Jazz Discography. And also included in their entirety are revised and complete leader discographies of Will Bradley, Dollar Brand (Abdullah Ibrahim), Anthony Braxton, Freddie Brocksieper, Randy Brooks, Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown, Clifford Brown, Les Brown, Odell Brown, Oscar Brown, Jr., Dave Brubeck, Rusty Bryant, Milt Buckner, Kenny Burrell, Billy Butterfield, Don Byas, Donald Byrd, Cab Calloway, Hoagy Carmichael, Benny Carter, and Casa Loma Orchestra. (Volume 34 contains 5009 new and revised recording sessions).

Order by November 15th and save $15!

Important

Please let us know if your email or postal address has changed. This way you won’t miss our monthly on-line Jazz Letter or announcements about new products from The Jazz Discography.

All the Lord CD-ROMs cover the same time period (well, of course, you do get some more recent sessions in more recent versions but you also get older sessions that were previously not included). So any would serve your purpose.

The big difference is in how the search functions work and how the indices are maintained. There are some corrections to information beginning with v.4 (through letter Bou) and it seems that v.5 has more (through Goo?). V.3.3 search is not nearly as good as later ones. Only leader, musician, song.

The other problem with buying the older ones now is that you don't get the chance to purchase subsequent versions at a discount.

I will be interested to see what has been changed in this new version. There are plenty of errors, even in the updated A & B letters - will things like that be fixed or will we have to wait until the entire alphabet goes around again to have them corrected?

If I recall correctly, v. 3.3 is *supposed* to be identical to the printed books, but it's not because Lord screwed up a number of song titles in an attempt to streamline things. In those cases, the books are actually more accurate.

Mike

Mike:

They announce the copy and paste function has been improved:

You can copy and paste session data into your own records and, if you want hard-copy of the data you find, you can print up to 50 recording sessions at one time.

But will you be allowed to copy and paste session data one by one (as it was until v4.4) or will you be able to copy and paste all the discography for one musician (that would be really user-friendly!) ?

I haven´t used it, but I think the printing of 50 recording sessions was already available at v4.4.

It sounds to me like the search is absolutely nothing new since the 4.4.1 update and I remain skeptical that anything will have been changed about the cut-and-paste. I don't much care as I don't use that feature much anyway.

If the thing installs properly on my computer I'll be impressed. The last one (v.4.4) took about a month's worth of back and forth with the tech people. It seems that Lord applies the same "get it out quick" mentality about his software as he does about his data.

Mike

I used to have the Bruyn...thingie and then settled with the Ruppli work but wass looking forward to this. I downloaded the demo and quite frankly I was not that impressed iwth it....really not what I expected ...sorry if that is not helpful.

I just guessed that the work would be more user friendly but it was not for me anyway.

Andy