CD shops in Chicago

Bol

the reckless records on milwaukee a few blocks north of dusty groove is a nice shop for used jazz. as is the other reckless across town at belmont and broadway. there used to be a number used shops in the clark/belmont/broadway area. i'm not sure how many are still around. others will have to chime in with details.

the jazz record mart is an essential stop.

Specifically in the Lakeview/Lincoln Park neighborhoods, Reckless is still open. There is a pretty lame CD store on Belmont. The good one closed up, as did an ok one on the corner of Clark and Belmont. On Broadway near Wellington is Disc-Go-Round, which has a so-so selection of used jazz. It has a pretty good used DVD section though.

On Clark near Wrightwood, there is a vinyl store (Dave's maybe?) but the store connected to Django's went under. There is still HiFi Records just south of Wrightwood on Clark, and that is pretty good.

More generally, Dr. Wax is good. They have stores in Evanston, Chicago (near Argyle) and Hyde Park (Chicago). HiFi also has a store in Evanston, but it's hard to find (way west of the Main St. stop on the Purple line).

Those are the ones I go to regularly. There was a Crow's Nest with a very good jazz selection near the Harold Washington Library in the south Loop, but they lost their lease and merged with Rock Records in the north Loop, and they have just a crummy, tiny jazz section now. I guess neither had much in the way of used CDs.

Many of the places I liked to shop have closed in the last six months. :(:(

Edited by ejp626