Art Farmer question

Michael Fitzgerald

To those who own the LP of Interaction (Atlantic 1412) - does the tune My Kind Of Love appear on it? All the discographies say yes, but it's not included nor mentioned on the Collectables 2-fer CD I own. And *if* indeed the tune is on the LP, who is the listed composer?

There's a rare chance that this could be a stereo/mono issue, so please let me know which you own.

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

To those who own the LP of Interaction (Atlantic 1412) - does the tune My Kind Of Love appear on it? All the discographies say yes, but it's not included nor mentioned on the Collectables 2-fer CD I own. And *if* indeed the tune is on the LP, who is the listed composer?

There's a rare chance that this could be a stereo/mono issue, so please let me know which you own.

Mike

I have a stereo Japanese LP reissue (Atlantic P-7561A) which has six tunes including "My Kinda Love", composed by Louis Alter & Jo Trent. I did own the original stereo Atlantic at one time and this copy appears to be a faithful duplicate in all respects.

OK - this is good info. Doesn't straighten things out at ALL, but it gets us on the road:

Here's what's listed on the first half of the Collectables CD:

Days Of Wine And Roses [6:47]

By Myself [7:06]

My Little Suede Shoes [5:01]

Embraceable You [7:02]

Loads Of Love [4:52]

Sometime Ago [6:22]

So what's the exact tracklist for the Japanese issue (with times, if you can)? I'm thinking that you don't have Loads Of Love on there. Correct?

Next question - can anyone confirm that the version of Embraceable You that was included on the "Atlantic Jazz: Mainstream" CD 81704 is NOT the version from the Interaction album?

Mike

At best, Lord is just incomplete. Information was copied straight out of Bruyninckx.

Now, Erik Raben has the same info for SD 1412, but different info for the Atlantic Jazz compilation, listing the SAME version of Embraceable You as on Interaction. Raben also lists the existence of the Japanese item that Marty owns.

But I'm wondering whether the stereo and mono versions of 1412 were identical and find it curious that Loads Of Love would end up on a Japanese CD if it was not issued previously.

Mike

I have the original mono LP (Atlantic 1412); it does NOT include "My Kind Of Love". It has the following tracks:

Side 1:

1. Days Of Wine And Roses (Henry Mancini & Johnny Mercer) 6:49

2. By Myself (Howard Dietz & Arthur Schwartz) 7:11

3. My Little Suede Shoes (Charlie Parker) 5:02

Side 2:

1. Embraceable You (George Gershwin & Ira Gershwin) 7:02

2. Loads Of Love (Richard Rodgers) 4:58

3. Sometime Ago (Sergio Mihanovich) 6:26

Now that's an unexpected response. So now we're saying that "My Kind Of Love" is not on either mono or stereo original issues?

I would love to hear from more owners on this - and I'd still like to know about that Atlantic Jazz: Mainstream issue.

Mike

Boy, you could say that again! I regretted that I had parted with the original stereo Atlantic (which also had the green and blue label) and had assumed that my Japanese reissue was exactly the same. The liner notes by Gene Lees seem to be intact and he mentions four of the tunes on the LP - "Days of..", "..Suede Shoes", "Embraceable.." and "Sometime Ago" neglecting whatsoever to mention the two remaining tracks. In any event, here are the timings for the tracks on my copy:

Days of Wine and Roses (6:49)

By Myself (7:11)

My Little Suede Shoes (5:02)

Embraceable You (7:02)

My Kinda Love (7:14)

Sometime Ago (6:26)

Yes! I have been living with Int'l Records News spread out in front of me for the past few days - it was a WONDERFUL publication and it remains very useful - most of their label discographies included timings and composers! I'm pretty sure I've got the whole run - only 7 issues. So the Farmer discography never got finished.

Thanks to Jürgen Bliedtner, I now have a scan of a Japanese CD of Interaction that has 7 tracks (30XD-1039). Raben mentions this issue as equivalent to 1412, but does not have Loads Of Love on it, which is an error.

Jürgen also included a scan of the "Art Worker" album which purports to be recorded in Frankfurt in 1968 with personnel of AF, Ernie Royal, Jimmy Cleveland, Oscar Estelle (playing as, ts, bar), Harold Mabern, Jimmy Woode, Roy McCurdy.

This seems incorrect to me - for one, Estelle last recorded in 1957, last with Farmer in 1953, never on anything but baritone.

Compositions have connections to record dates from 1970.

I figure, while we're here - anyone know more on this? Lord and Bruyninckx swallow the whole thing, Raben mentions that Farmer may not appear on one or more tracks.

Mike

Back to the Interaction question: the Atlantic Records Discography, compiled by Michel Ruppli, has the following information:

Art Farmer Quartet:

Art Farmer (flh) Jim Hall (g) Steve Swallow (b) Walter Perkins (dr).

NYC, July 29, 1963

7131 It's a great day

7132 (5:02) My little Suede shoes Atl. LP1412

7133A Embraceable you

Same

NYC, August 1, 1963

7131B Great Day

7133B (7:02) Embraceable you Atl. LP1412

7134 (6:26) Some time ago Atl. LP1412

7135 Loads of love

No mentioning of "Days of Wine and Roses"...

However, "My Kind Of Love" is mentioned as (unreleased) master number 7452, from the recording session for the Live At The Half Note session (Half Note, NYC, December 5/6/7, 1963). Apart from the 5 issued takes on the record (LP1421), there seem to be 17 unissued takes.

Peter

I hope you're just overlooking the July 25 session and Ruppli doesn't omit that, but even so Ruppli does have some things confused -

It's A Great Day and Great Day - probably the same tune. My thought at this point is that this is the Tom McIntosh tune "Great Day" also recorded around this time by James Moody, but there are other possibilities.

No mention of the issue of Loads of Love - which is very strange since people with original issues say it's on them. But that's one criticism of Ruppli's work - that he deals with the company files and doesn't check the actual records.

Sadly, it could be we will never hear the unissued stuff due to the Atlantic fire. But we live in hope.

Mike

Jürgen also included a scan of the "Art Worker" album which purports to be recorded in Frankfurt in 1968 with personnel of AF, Ernie Royal, Jimmy Cleveland, Oscar Estelle (playing as, ts, bar), Harold Mabern, Jimmy Woode, Roy McCurdy.

This seems incorrect to me - for one, Estelle last recorded in 1957, last with Farmer in 1953, never on anything but baritone.

Compositions have connections to record dates from 1970.

I figure, while we're here - anyone know more on this? Lord and Bruyninckx swallow the whole thing, Raben mentions that Farmer may not appear on one or more tracks.

Mike,

There has been a thread on ART WORKER some months ago. Here's what I wrote way back then:

I''ve been trying to discover the truth behind this record for a long time, since it first came out in the '80s on a Lotus LP.

According to the composers' credits - and to a small bit of research on my side - I think that the following musicians are featured:

Art Farmer (?), trumpet, or

Dusko Gojkovic, trumpet

Robert Politzer, trumpet

Erich Kleinschuster, trombone

Hans Solomon, alto sax, tenor sax, bass clarinet

Fritz Pauer, piano, electric piano

Erich Bachtragl, drums

The identity of the bass player is a little more difficult. It could be Jimmy Woode, of course, who lived in Vienna then; it could be Peter Marshall, who played with all those musicians at that time, it could be Rudolf Hansen.

I have the feeling that Farmer is not on this record, and that the main trumpet soloist could be Gojkovic

I think that the recording took place in Vienna; 1969? 1970? 1972?

There's another possibility I dug out while browsing a Carmell Jones page:

"On January 9, 1969 Carmell Jones played at Vienna´s Austrophon Studio with the ERICH KLEINSCHUSTER SEXTET: ROBERT POLITZER (tp, fl-h), ERICH KLEINSCHUSTER (tb), HANS SALOMON (as, ts, b-cl), FRITZ PAUER (p), JIMMY WOODE (cool.gif and ERIC BACHTRÄGL (dr), the show was broadcasted by ORF radio."

Best, Luca

Thanks! I like that research a lot - is it possible to contact any of the participants and ask? Or if it's Jones, even the "non-participant"?

http://www.cosmicsounds-london.com/DUSKO/goykovic.html

- seems he's often in Palermo.

I would think that Kleinschuster might recall this. Any Austrian folks here who might be able to help?

Mike

Mike

Here is a rundown on my copy (CD) of Duke's Artistry:

My Heart Skips a Beat (5.52)

Midnight Moonlight (6.39)

My Heart Skips a Beat (5.49)

My Heart Skips a Beat (4.55)

Lady Dingbat (8.18)

Midnite Bump (6.06)

Midnite Bump (6.09)

Dodge City Roots (5.57)

Also a rundown on Art Worker on Moon CD MCD 014-2

Delphine (4.10)

Stars (4.10)

Erwägung (4.35)

Orientierung (3.56)

Eau Sovage (4.55)

Gratuliere (4.30)

Ala Nova (4.37)

The personell is given as follows:

Art Farmer, Trumpet & Fluegelhorn

Ernie Royal, Trumpet

Jimmy Cleveland, Trombone

Oscar Estelle, Alto, Tenor & Baritone sax

Harold Mabern, Piano

Jimmy Woode, Bas

Roy McCurdy, Drums

The recording year is 1968 (no specific date given or location)

Vic

My original stereo copy of this LP, which I first bought back in the 1960's, contains "Loads of Love". I first discovered the variance some years ago when I was listening to this record at a friend's house, and noticed that "Loads of Love" was replaced by "My Kinda Love" on her copy. I recall (but am not certain) that her copy was an original, and the jacket & label did list "Loads of Love". It took us a little while to figure out what the tune was, and eventually I was able to locate a British mono copy that contained and listed "My Kinda Love". Eventually I found the Japanese release, which lists and contains "My Kinda Love" in stereo. Of course, I had to keep both for the sake of completeness!

jack

My copy: Atlantic SD 1412, stereo, copyright 1963.

"Loads Of Love", no "My Kind Of Love".

I rank this as one of the great albums of jazz. Indeed, the interaction is at an extraordinarily high a level of beauty and artistry.

Years ago I had this album (to the exclusion of all others) playing continually for several months.

When I A/B'd a few years ago, it seemed to me that some of the distortion from the original recording (especially Hall's solo on "My Little Suede Shoes") is even more prominent on the Collectables CD release than on the LP.

Edited by Cornelius