technics suv909 direct dc amp

slide_advantage_redoux

I came across a Technics stereo amp. It is model SUV909. It is a direct dc amp. Can anyone explain exactly what that is, and what differentiates it from any other amp?

I get the impression that this was a high end model. Is anyone here familiar with it? I can get it for $59. Seems like a steal. Unless I misread the info on the back of the amp, it has 870 amps. That seems extreme.

Thanks again.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

870 amps would blow up every fuse in your house. You must've read it wrong. A standard 120vac circuit in your home is usually only 15amps, 20amps at the most.

It would be 870watts, but even that is extreme. It could be pulling 870watts... meaning it uses 870watts to output say 200watts of power and the rest is dispated as heat (that's how stuff works!) but even that is a little extreme. That's like a PA power amp or something!

I came across a Tachnics stereo amp. It is model SUV909. It is a direct dc amp. Can anyone explain exactly what that is, and what differentiates it from any other amp?

I get the impression that this was a high end model. Is anyone here familiar with it? I can get it for $59. Seems like a steal. Unless I misread the info on the back of the amp, it has 870 amps. That seems extreme.

Thanks again.

Don't know that I can help alot, but unfortunately I am old enough to remember when many of these models were coming onto the market. The 909 number probably means you have 90 watts per channel continuous power over some range that I can no longer remember. The DC part use to be advertised as direct current which I understood meant that sound did not have to go through a tuner or other filters which could magically distort it in some way. It was probably some kind of advertising gimmick or something.

Bottom Line......This was an excellent product in its day and if totally refurbished it is probably as good if not better than much of what you can by in the solid state amp market. You only need to recall that the exchange rate in those days was about 250 yen/dollar and these babies were not cheap. In today's dollars it would take a lot to match the quality of the internal parts......at least that is what I have been told.

Good luck.

One thing I neglected to mention - and it is an attractive feature - is that this amp has 2 phono outs. I have never really NEEDED to have two TTs hooked up, but this amp gives the option.

Now the bad news: the cat selling it said it worked the last time he checked, but now it doesn't want to power a signal. The light comes on, but that's it. Fortunately I didn't buy it, but am waiting to see if the seller solves the problem.

Thanks for the feedback all.