Vernon Page

g#-

Greetings All:

>I have been searching for information concerning one of the most extraordinary bassists in the history of Jazz who has been shamefully overlooked by the so-called Jazz historians. His name is Vernon Page. He was the bassist (brass bass i.e., sousaphone) with the legendary Bennie Moten Band of Kansas City throughout the 1920's until sometime in 1931 when he left the band and was replaced by the great and well-known Walter Page of Blue Devil and later, Count Basie fame, on string bass. It is this Bennie Moten Band, also known as The Victor Recording Band that made the sensational recording session of 1932 in Camden, NJ which was issued during the late 1960's under the title,"Count Basie In Kansas City" by RCA Victor. Meanwhile, also on this same issue are performances by the Moten band in 1929 when Vernon Page was still the bassist on sousaphone. I aslo have other historical recordings of the Moten bands prior to 1929. Vernon Page was a bassist way ahead of his time in creative bass line imagination; furthermore, on the sousaphone he provided a foundation for the entire band that created an unequaled band sonority, boardering on symphonic proportions. This man is in a countless number of photographs with Moten; yet, I cannot find a single bit of biographical information about him. I have searched the history books, Jazz museums, Kaycee's musician union records, consulted veteran Jazz players who remember him but cannot provide any pertinent information, etc. I want to know as much about him as I can find e.g., his general life, where he went after he left Moten in 1931, if he remained an active musician, where and when did he die, if he was at all related to Walter Page and/or Orin "Hot Lips" Page (I have read that Walter and Orin were either half-brothers, cousins, Orin a nephew of Walter's, as well as not related at all) etc. Any information any of you out here can provide will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

>Musically yours,

g#-