Contemporary Jazz UK

A new book featuring 21 current British jazz musicians by Chris Horne has just been published. Here is a piece that has just appeared about it:

Chris Horne: Contemporary Jazz UK: Twenty One Lives in Jazz

Jazz in the UK right now is experiencing one of its most exciting and creative periods, at the hands of an immensely talented corps of young jazz players and composers. In this book, through a series of interviews, Chris Horne allows twenty-one of these musicians to reveal in their own words what inspired them to become jazz musicians, to discuss the twists and turns of their careers, and to share their aspirations as well as their likes and dislikes in music. The sum total is an enlightening and entertaining perspective on today’s UK jazz scene through the words of 21 of its leading practitioners: Iain Ballamy, Denys Baptiste, Guy Barker, Alan Barnes, Bill Bruford, Ben Castle, Andy Cleyndert, Jamie Cullum, Alec Dankworth, John Donaldson, Tim Garland, Geoff Gascoyne, Nigel Hitchcock, Nikki Iles, Julian Joseph, Ingrid Laubrock, Steve Melling, Jim Mullen, Dave Newton, Kenrick Rowe and Clark Tracey. Book, 215 pages

“I reviewed jazz for the Times for twenty years and this is just the kind of book I needed to have back then…. Brilliant." – Miles Kington

“This book makes for an intelligent introduction to the work and outlook on life of some of the most active musicians in Britain today. I am sure it will be enjoyed by anyone who has an interest in how British jazz is continuing to develop.” – Rt. Hon Kenneth Clarke QC MP