I'm bummed

scottb

A friend bought a fretless guitar (LP clone) off them a while ago, but I didn't see any on display when I was there last year.

I remember they blew those out a while back for $199 or less. I wish I would have jumped on that.

I still want to try those special guitars that you play 7/4. I love Indian music so much. I would love to get into semi-tones.

You can always get there with a slide. :P

Good point!

I'm a big fan of George Harrison's slide playing and I have been practicing his style for a while. :D

If you can, play over a drone. It really helps to nail the pitch.

Harrison had a real unique slide tone.

I play over drones all the time. :g

One of my favorite things to do is to play with the D string open and play melodies on the higher strings in a sitar style. In one of my bands, we used to do the Beatles' Within You Without You. I'd sing and play the sitar and drone parts, with a bunch of looping delays going, while the other guy would play hammered dulcimer. I loved it. :wub:

Yeah, Harrison's sitar training really made him an interesting slide guitarist. He's probably my favorite rock musician (for many reasons).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::lol:

That actually isn't far off. That thing has been played a lot. I bet it's much nicer than my first guitar.

Actually, my first electric guitar (purchased when I was 14) was a early 80's Washburn. It wasn't that bad (I was :P ). I got a job working the lunch line at school so I could save my lunch money to buy my guitar. It took a whole semester, but I did it, and quickly quit the lunch line (which hadn't helped my popularity at all :ph34r: ).

My first guitar ended up looking like that!  :lol:

My electric is sanded down and in pieces. I plan to put it back together for my son someday.

I still have my first electric: '74 Gibson L6S.

And I still play it too!

My first guitar ended up looking like that!  :lol:

My electric is sanded down and in pieces. I plan to put it back together for my son someday.

And I still play it too!

That's cool! I really like those L6S guitars. I played in a band with a guy who had a natural finished one. Isn't that the one with the cool Bill Lawrence designed pickups?

Here's a picture of my first good guitar (which I still have and play). I wasn't the idiot who replaced the pickups... but it made it more affordable, so... I played this guitar all over the place back in the 80's.

rickenbacker_360.jpg

And I still play it too!

That's cool! I really like those L6S guitars. I played in a band with a guy who had a natural finished one. Isn't that the one with the cool Bill Lawrence designed pickups?

That's the one.

Jeff,

Some of those Ibanez models list in the $400 range, meaning their street prices are probably close to the Agile Cool Cat.  Would you still go with the Agile?

And also, can you get me some macaroni and cheese??

:angry::lol:

Those Ibanez Artcores are a great deal. You probably could see them in person at the local guitar emporium, so that's a plus. Since they are a brand name, resale might be a little bit better. Rondo music (who sells the Agile) have a good return policy, so if you don't like the guitar, you probably won't have much problem returning it.

The negatives to me are that they are made in China. Chinese guitars are getting better, but Korean guitars might be a little better. Epiphones are now made in China also. There were even some Guild acoustics recently made in China, so their skills have improved.

I have played Ibanez Artcores and Agiles and I think the Agile is better than the Ibanez' that list around $400. The more expensive Artcores match and probably supercede the Agiles. An advantage for the Ibanez is that you would probably have an easier time finding a case for it. I had a terrible time finding a case for my DeArmond X-155 and when I did find one it was almost as expensive as the guitar itself, so I ended up selling the guitar (I wish I wouldn't have).

Edited by AfricaBrass

Gibson L6S trivia

First guitar with 24 frets

First guitar to feature Gibson "super humbucker" pickups

Briefly played and endorsed by Carlos Santana

I had a Sunburst '76 L6S custom that was pretty cool. Sold it a few years back.

Edited by scottb

Gibson L6S trivia

I had a Sunburst '76 L6S custom that was pretty cool. Sold it a few years back.

Cool!

Those are sweet guitars. The prices seem to have crept up, but they're still bargains.

Gibson L6S trivia

I had a Sunburst '76 L6S custom that was pretty cool.  Sold it a few years back.

post-4-1109969918.jpg

That's the guitar. Mine has a six position pickup switch.

Edited by 7/4

Gibson L6S trivia

I had a Sunburst '76 L6S custom that was pretty cool.  Sold it a few years back.

Cool!

Those are sweet guitars. The prices seem to have crept up, but they're still bargains.

$300 when it was new in '74. I see them for as high as $1200 now.

My guitar has been through a bit, I don't think I could get that kind of price, but it's not for sale anyway!

Guitar players...  

I would like to refer you to a certain 10 page thread about a recently acquired A100 and another thread posting pictures of "bad ass B3s"

:P

hey...I didn't post any pictures!!! :P Anyway, the good thing about B3s is...they're too expensive to have a collection of. Plus they all look the same. B-)