Phil Woods - Groovin' to Marty Paich

makpjazz57

philwoods2.jpg

Heavy rotation on my IPOD/itunes right now - this new release by Jazzed Media - Phil Woods wailin' in front of the "Los Angeles Jazz Orchestra," led by pianist Christian Jacob. This CD is full of Paich's unique arrangements, with emphasis on the "Art Pepper Plus Eleven" recording. This is a live 2004 recording. Song list:

Groovin' High

Walkin' Shoes

I've Never Been In Love Before

Round Midnight

Donna Lee

Moanin'

Anthropology

Violets For Your Furs

Bernie's Tune

Airegin

Too Close For Comfort

Shaw'nuff

Some of L.A.'s stellar musicians play on this recording: Steve Huffstetter, Scott Whitfield, the very talented Christian Jacob (also Musical Director for vocalist Tierney Sutton), Frank Szabo.

Marla

philwoods2.jpg

Heavy rotation on my IPOD/itunes right now - this new release by Jazzed Media - Phil Woods wailin' in front of the "Los Angeles Jazz Orchestra," led by pianist Christian Jacob. This CD is full of Paich's unique arrangements, with emphasis on the "Art Pepper Plus Eleven" recording. This is a live 2004 recording. Song list:

Groovin' High

Walkin' Shoes

I've Never Been In Love Before

Round Midnight

Donna Lee

Moanin'

Anthropology

Violets For Your Furs

Bernie's Tune

Airegin

Too Close For Comfort

Shaw'nuff

Some of L.A.'s stellar musicians play on this recording: Steve Huffstetter, Scott Whitfield, the very talented Christian Jacob (also Musical Director for vocalist Tierney Sutton), Frank Szabo.

Marla

I read a reveiw on this earlier this week; sounds like a good one to get!

Mark

Jazzed Media has some very good quality CDs, as so many of the smaller, growing indies.

Nice to see that even with his health problems, Phil Woods is actively out there playing and recording. Last time he was at Sculler's in Boston, (with Charlap, Lynch, Gilmore, Goodwin), he musicially burned the house down!

Marla