The Bass

Jazz Kat

A few years back I am doing a blues gig, as front man, at a sports bar outside of Detroit. I've got the bass player from Rare Earth with me, and a sax player (an Motown session player from way back) out to hear me. There is talk of some other recording project, etc., so I am fired up. At one point during the night I bust into what I believe to be a fairly smokin' solo, not thinking a bit, feeling every bit of it, getting right to the climax of the solo, and bam! the room erupts with applause!!!!!!!

An otherwise quiet and indifferent setting becomes my dream gig. I am at one with the Universe. All my hard work was finally paying off... oh.. wait...

the 18 million freakin' screens in the joint are also echoing some applause...

yeah, o.k... the Detroit Red Wings just scored a goal.

I HATE sports bars. :P

That is the most amazing, fascinating sad story I've read in a long time. Saw it coming from way back ....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years back I am doing a blues gig, as front man, at a sports bar outside of Detroit.  I've got the bass player from Rare Earth with me, and a sax player (an Motown session player from way back) out to hear me.  There is talk of some other recording project, etc., so I am fired up.  At one point during the night I bust into what I believe to be a fairly smokin' solo, not thinking a bit, feeling every bit of it, getting right to the climax of the solo, and bam!  the room erupts with applause!!!!!!!

An otherwise quiet and indifferent setting becomes my dream gig.  I am at one with the Universe.  All my hard work was finally paying off... oh.. wait...

I HATE sports bars.  :P

But who were they playing, and what was the final score??? :excited:

Upright Bill

Wow, that Roscoe is sweeeeeet!!!! :tup And I'd love to have something like the Emminence. :wub:

I need to get my digital camera hooked up so that I could post some of my pictures...

Besides my Englehart Upright, I also have a really nice German Upright (c. unknown).

I don't play as much electric these days but I have a 1972 Fender precision bass, a Westone Fretless Jazz copy (which believe it or not plays and sounds fantastic!!! -- I play it a lot with one of the groups I play with) and an old Peavey Fretless T-40 bass (heavier than %^&* but looks cool!!!!!! :wacko::g ). I sold off quite a few electrics, which today, I wish I still had!! I've played both five and six string electrics but made a decision a while back to put the majority of my energy into the upright -- I admire folks like yourself who can do both so well.

Edited by JohnT

A few years back I am doing a blues gig, as front man, at a sports bar outside of Detroit.  I've got the bass player from Rare Earth with me, and a sax player (an Motown session player from way back) out to hear me.  There is talk of some other recording project, etc., so I am fired up.  At one point during the night I bust into what I believe to be a fairly smokin' solo, not thinking a bit, feeling every bit of it, getting right to the climax of the solo, and bam!  the room erupts with applause!!!!!!!

An otherwise quiet and indifferent setting becomes my dream gig.  I am at one with the Universe.  All my hard work was finally paying off... oh.. wait...

That is the most amazing, fascinating sad story I've read in a long time. Saw it coming from way back ....

My favorite scene from "A Mighty Wind" involves a "legendary" folk group performing in some rather large amusement park, and right in the middle of a number, a huge roller coaster rips thru in the immediate backdrop.

I laugh, I cry, I laugh, a little more...

A few years back I am doing a blues gig, as front man, at a sports bar outside of Detroit.  I've got the bass player from Rare Earth with me, and a sax player (an Motown session player from way back) out to hear me.   There is talk of some other recording project, etc., so I am fired up.   At one point during the night I bust into what I believe to be a fairly smokin' solo, not thinking a bit, feeling every bit of it, getting right to the climax of the solo, and bam!  the room erupts with applause!!!!!!!

An otherwise quiet and indifferent setting becomes my dream gig.  I am at one with the Universe.   All my hard work was finally paying off... oh.. wait...

But who were they playing, and what was the final score??? :excited:

lol

sniff..

Upright Bill

Wow, that Roscoe is sweeeeeet!!!! :tup And I'd love to have something like the Emminence. :wub:

I need to get my digital camera hooked up so that I could post some of my pictures...

Besides my Englehart Upright, I also have a really nice German Upright (c. unknown).

I don't play as much electric these days but I have a 1972 Fender precision bass, a Westone Fretless Jazz copy (which believe it or not plays and sounds fantastic!!! -- I play it a lot with one of the groups I play with) and an old Peavey Fretless T-40 bass (heavier than %^&* but looks cool!!!!!! :wacko::g ). I sold off quite a few electrics, which today, I wish I still had!! I've played both five and six string electrics but made a decision a while back to put the majority of my energy into the upright -- I admire folks like yourself who can do both so well.

John,

Didn't Westone do a thing where you bought a bass and it came with both fretless and fretted necks. Or am I likely thinking of something else?

Greg

Greg,

Your'e right -- my Westone came with both the Fretless and Fretted neck!!!

I got a really great deal on it and at first I thought that it was just a novelty bass --but this thing really plays and sounds GREAT!!! :tup

I've only ever used it as a fretless though and keep thinking that one of these days I need to put the Fretted neck on it to check it out.

The fretted neck sits right along side the fretless bass in the hard shell case !! :blink:

John

Greg,

Your'e right -- my Westone came with both the Fretless and Fretted neck!!!

I got a really great deal on it and at first I thought that it was just a novelty bass --but this thing really plays and sounds GREAT!!! :tup

I've only ever used it as a fretless though and keep thinking that one of these days I need to put the Fretted neck on it to check it out.

The fretted neck sits right along side the fretless bass in the hard shell case !! :blink:

John

cool. I must get one. Or should I say two? :)

Greg,

Unfortunately, I think the Westones have, as we say around here, gone OOP :( but you may be able to find a used one somewhere.

I think they were made by a company named St Louis Blues or something like that and they went belly up a few years ago.

John

Greg,

Unfortunately, I think the Westones have, as we say around here, gone OOP :( but you may be able to find a used one somewhere.

I think they were made by a company named St Louis Blues or something like that and they went belly up a few years ago.

John

I believe they went south (if you'll pardon the expression) in the 80's. However, I have seen a few on ebay. If you ever want to sell it, pls let me know.

Upright Bill

I can make you a great deal on the Eminence.

The Roscoe is sweet, the picture doesn't do it justice. The top is spalted maple, Keith Roscoe has a technique where he somehow fills the holes in the wood so that they are completely filled and smooth but look completely 3-D, when I show it to people they always try to put a finger into the spalted areas.

Would love to play that Emminence but have no funds at this time -- I'll have to be content with my two uprights.

Boy, your right Greg -- the company that sold Westones went belly up in the 80's -- seems like just yesterday that I heard about it -- how time flies...when you get old like me!!!!!!

I don't think I'll ever sell my Westone it is just way too cool and its become my primary electric bass!! I need to somehow post a picture of it ...and its extra neck.