Bobo Stenson

Guest che

Just been listening to the album 'Reflections' with the Swedish pianist Bobo Stenson who I have long admired.

I have a number of his recordings including his alb ums with Don Cherry and his recordings with Tomasz Stanko.

Anyone familier with Stenson and his music?

Che.

Che! You keep bringing up some of my favorite musicians!

I've been enjoying Stenson's music since the '70s. I first heard Bobo Stenson playing with Jan Garbarek (and vice versa). Then I also picked up some Rena Rama records (Stenson, Lennart Åberg, etc.). He also played with Turkish drummer, Okay Temiz, in his group, Oriental Wind. (See the Album Of The Week thread for the Stenson-Garbarek collaboration, Witchi-Tai-To).

My favorite of his more recent trio recordings is "War Orphans". I also like what he did with Charles Lloyd, especially "Canto".

Edited by SEK

SEK.

I do my best :)

I have a number of his ECM recordings, I like the album 'Sart' which has amongst others Jan Garbarek and Terje Rypdal on board. Also some of the Garbarek albums you refer to.

What I like about Stenson's music is that it has a strong European folk influence, and he has been a major contribution to the development of 'European Jazz'. I have never seem him live.

Che.

19th?

7th?

28th?

How do you rate a pianist?

Why would you rate a pianist?

(He has a new trio album due from ECM later this year with Anders Jormin and Paul Motion. It's on Alankin's site but with no date yet)

Just trying to create conversation Bev nothing more.

Jazz is about discussion, debate, analysis and we all seem to have people we like or prefer more than others.

Discussions can be about the merits, ratings etc of Jarrett, Stenson or Gustavsen that in my view is one of the factors that helps keep jazz alive.

Che.

i can't say enough about bobo stenson.

one thing i can say with conviction though is that he seems criminally underrecorded.

i had the pleasure to hang out with he and charles lloyd one evening. i'll never forget that...

i'm looking forward what what ECM says is a forthcoming trio date with anders jormin and paul motian.

-e-