GOIN' TO NEW ORLEANS 7/16-7/22

You will definitely sweat. You may want to set aside the hours from 12-7 PM for eating (indoors) and napping.

Tourism in general and the House of Blues specifically have done a lot of damage to our local music scene over the past 5-10 years. To paraphrase Frank Rich, they have turned a culture into a commodity. Even the venerable Snug Harbor has become a guidebook staple; don't be surprised if you're seated next to Germans wearing Mardi Gras beads (in July) and conventioneers wearing name tags.

That said, you can still catch some decent trad at Preservation Hall and the Palm Court (on Decatur). THE street is now Frenchman Street, not Bourbon Street. I like the Spotted Cat there for The Jazz Vipers, a dissolute trad-cum-Django outfit. Also try Cafe Brasil, usually for something Afro-Carribean. Free jazz occasionally breaks out at DBA or Dragon's Den.

Hard-to-find trad CDs in stock at the Louisiana Music Factory on Decatur.

More later...

Edited by minew

You give the guy a couple Righteous Buddha discs and next thing you know he's roadtrippin' to Nawlins!!

That Mardi Gras beat is infectious! (so are most people on Bourbon Street :huh: )

My advice

1) no polyester (too hot)

2) don't bet against anyone who says he can tell you where you got your shoes. (They are on your feet!)

3) go to the aquarium in the heat of the day

4) eat often - when in New Orleans I try to eat about 5 meals a day in order to get as much of the good stuff as I can. (Like smoking cigars while in Cuba)

Sample: breakfast (eggs, grits, french toast)

morning snack (Cafe Du Monde for beignets and coffee)

lunch (seafood in the quarter - Brennan's is a favorite of mine (gumbo yaya)

afternoon snack (shrimp po-boy - cocktail sauce not mayo!)

dinner (steak covered with lump crabmeat - Mister Bs)

5) check the listings of musical acts when you get there- sometimes the Howlin' Wolf or other smaller venues will have better acts than Tip's or the bigger ones. You just never know.

6) don't drink the water (a quick look at the locals' teeth should convince you)

7) plenty of hand sanitizer (use often!)

8) enjoy yourself but be careful / cautious (I'm telling a New Yorker to be careful :D )

Edited by scottb

On to food..

On the haute end, the hottest tables are at August and Peristyle, maybe Cuvee. For more traditional N.O. cuisine, try Clancy's or Brigsten's. For a trip back in culinary time try one of the grand old ladies: Galatoires, Arnaud's, or Antoine's.

For the cuisine of the people, Uglesich's (on Baronne) is a good bet for seafood as are Mandina's and Liuzza's in Mid-City. Don't forget your muffalettas (Central Grocery), oysters (Acme), and po-boys (Johnny's, Parasol's, or just about anywhere but the quarter).

Our best ethnic is Vietnamese. Try any of the Pho Tau Bay branches.

Cool off with the original sno-ball (or sno-bliz) at Hansen's on Tchoupitoulas.

Happy to provide more and more detail if wanted...

On to food..

On the haute end, the hottest tables are at August and Peristyle, maybe Cuvee. For more traditional N.O. cuisine, try Clancy's or Brigsten's. For a trip back in culinary time try one of the grand old ladies: Galatoires, Arnaud's, or Antoine's.

For the cuisine of the people, Uglesich's (on Baronne) is a good bet for seafood as are Mandina's and Liuzza's in Mid-City. Don't forget your muffalettas (Central Grocery), oysters (Acme), and po-boys (Johnny's, Parasol's, or just about anywhere but the quarter).

Our best ethnic is Vietnamese. Try any of the Pho Tau Bay branches.

Cool off with the original sno-ball (or sno-bliz) at Hansen's on Tchoupitoulas.

Happy to provide more and more detail if wanted...

Minew,

Thanks so much for tips from a resident. Give me more detail-I'm soakin' it in!