Love's a Real Thing

Brandon Burke

I picked it up when it came out. It didn't grab me the same way as that amazing 3 cd set of Nigerian funk music that Strut release a couple of years ago. Maybe it is because I was expecting something Fela like, or even something similar to the Ethiopiques series. I'll have to give it a closer listen......

I picked it up when it came out. It didn't grab me the same way as that amazing 3 cd set of Nigerian funk music that Strut release a couple of years ago. Maybe it is because I was expecting something Fela like, or even something similar to the Ethiopiques series. I'll have to give it a closer listen......

Same here. I was hoping for harder on the 1s. I much prefer the Ghana Soundz comps to this.

I bought it yesterday, and the third cut, by Moussa Doumbia, knocks my socks off! You can tell that he's listened to his James Brown with some of the sounds he makes, but he's also got the psychedelic thing in there too. My appetite has now been whetted and I want to get some more recordings by Moussa Doumbia. Does anyone have a good source, can anyone post a link to somewhere in cyberspace where they specialize in this stuff? I've tried Ebay, Dusty(the bastards!), and a few others, and they all come up blank. If anyone has a link, etc. please post it. Thanks much in advance.

I disagree.

There's so much Fela-sounding stuff out there that I'm happy to see some psych soul enter the picture. Don't get me wrong, I love Fela. But I can only do that for so long before I hit a wall. Same with Can...

I agree with your disagreement. If I want to hear Fela, or afrobeat in his tradition, I've already got access to Fela's records and many great compilations. It is a treat to have my view of what "African music from the seventies" means expanded.

It's kind of like only being exposed to Coltrane and suddenly finding out that Jimmy Smith existed, too.