larry clark...

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

i just recently went to the exhibition at ICP of larry clark's work. he is the dude who directed "kids" and did that photo book "tulsa". his old photos are great, by the way. i guess he took off from tulsa for a bit and went to nyc in the late 60s. i recognized a photo in the exhibit as being of steve marcus, the sax player. i also noticed tom zimmerman (i think) in another photo with clark. this made me think about a steve marcus album i have ("our lords prayer") and i remembered there was a larry clark on this album contributing some terrible drums and vocals. i then checked the album and sure enough-there he is in the photo on the front with marcus and zimmerman and i think ed xieques or something. he even gets a solo song-a rendition of 'tom thumbs blues" or whatever it is called. this is all not so interesting, but i didn't realize it was the same guy. i guess when he moved to nyc he got down with the early white guy jazz rock scene. maybe he took more photos of folks like larry coryell and mike mandel.