Charlie Brown - SOUL TENOR SAX!

Jazz Vinyl

Over the weekend I stumbled on an amazing soul tenor/Hammond B LP by Charlie Brown titled "Why Is Everyone Always Pickin' On Me?". Released by Flying Dutchman in 1972. Soul tenor in the Rusty Bryant tradition with Richard Tee on Hammond.

Does anyone know anything about this artist?

I saw him play live a few times in the early 70s at Mikell's in NYC. He was a regular for a while in the band that later evolved into Stuff. The band was led by Gordon Edwards. Besides Gordon on Bass and Charlie on Tenor the band consisted of Cornell Dupree on guitar, Richard Tee on acoustic piano (a gas!) and Herschel Dwellingham on drums. It was a great group. Real loose and playing classic Soul repetoire including a lot of King Curtis tunes like Beach Party and Soul Twist and a lot of the tunes off of that LP you just bought.

AMG says:

Biography by Ron Wynn

Not the famous blues and R&B pianist, but a journeyman tenor saxophonist whose moment of glory came with a 1972 Flying Dutchman album. He played off his name for an album whose title was a takeoff of the old Coaster's song "Charlie Brown," but also went by Charles Brown.