Frank Wess in Chicago

sheldonm

I went to see Frank Wess yesterday in Chicago. He played with a local rhythm section of Larry Gray on bass, Joel Spencer on drums, Larry Novak on piano and Art Hoyle on trumpet. Very good show with many standards, some originals, and a swingin' version on the "Flintstone's Theme" for the few youngsters in the crowd. The place was about 3/4 full and the other 1/4 missed a great show!

It was Joe Segal's 79th birthday so we stuck around after the show to share in some birthday cake with Joe and the band; tasty! The band also played "Happy Birthday" to Joe as he made an attempt to get the audience involved in a sing-along (didn't work too well!).

Joe will be having an 80th Birthday celebration next year at Chicago's Symphony Hall with Yusef Lateef, Ira Sullivan and an all star line up of Joe's friends (may include Moody, Heath). I cant' wait for that one, should be fun!

I tried out my new digital camera and will post something as soon as I fugure out how to download the software! :wacko:

Mark