Poll: Boxing

Should boxing be banned?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Mnytime

Cali:

I know what Linear means. ;) I just have never heard them use it to introduce a fighter before. I find it funny that things have become so absurd that they have to use it in the first place. You would think saying he was the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion would be enough. :rolleyes:

I will respond to your email later today.

Edited by Mnytime

I really don't follow the sport, so I didn't vote. Just popped in to say I agree with thoughts posted here about Tyson being a pox on the sport. Especially after seeing "When We Were Kings" about the Rumble In the Jungle bout with Ali and Foreman. Ali was someone to look up to, not just in the ring, but became a positive role model outside as well. Hell, all public figures should take a look at him and learn some lessons. He was one of a kind.

BTW, aren't some of his problems caused by Parkinson's?

Guest Mnytime

Yes, I do.

His mind is as sharp as it ever was and so is his memory. His symptoms are related to his motor skills and speech.

Edited by Mnytime

but they don't have a clue as to the real damage they are going to do to themselves over time..

Right, because no one has seen the effects of boxing on Muhammed Ali except you. Especially a professional boxer, would have NO idea what made one of the greatest champions of all time the way he is now.

Or he imagines he'll be able to get out of the game before any serious damage is done. The problem is that when a fighter needs to get out of the business, it takes one bad beating before he is able to recognize that. You don't know if it's time to get out until you get that bad beating.

I think also that Mike Tyson has introduced a greater level of brutality in the sport as well; what with the intentional low blows and the ear biting and the slugging of refs. Boxing hardly needed that.

Mr. Series 500, you worded it better than I did after painting till 5 am! :eye:

Boxers see other relatively normal healthy boxers on a daily basis, not the Ali types....hell, Most football players in the NFL haven't a clue as to what they are doing to themselves. I saw how completely Earl Campbell's body has broken down...he was walking with someone holding his arm, looking about 80 in a clip espn showed Jerome Bettis, who is trying to get "healthy" enough to be the force he once was, he was shocked, but is still going to press on...Earl retired at 31.It's just sad to me to see once mighty athletes wreck themselves, give me baseball to love, no guilt watching them play.....

I saw how completely Earl Campbell's body has broken down...he was walking with someone holding his arm, looking about 80 in a clip espn showed Jerome Bettis, who is trying to get "healthy" enough to be the force he once was, he was shocked, but is still going to press on...Earl retired at 31.It's just sad to me to see once mighty athletes wreck themselves, give me baseball to love, no guilt watching them play.....

Wow the GREAT Earl Campbell. I never knew that. He was the greatest running back I had ever seen in my life. Jim Brown was a little before my time, and OJ was washed up when I started watching the NFL. But Earl was unstoppable. He took so many hits. I am deeply saddened to hear this. :o