Slide Hampton in Chicago

Slide Hampton played the Jazz Showcase in Chicago this evening as guest soloist with the De Paul Jazz Band. Great show with many classics played. Here is one photo; I'll post a few others tomorrow.

Mark

Edited by sheldonm

Nice photo Mark.

I was at the Friday show. It was a lot of fun. The DePaul band was good. There were some really talented kids there. The room was more packed than usual...lots of proud parents ;)

They were recording the show for a future album release. After the first set my fiancée and I went out and checked out the the mobile studio. It was a pretty cool set up. The engineers were very nice in explaining how it all worked.

I'm looking forward to the album. And maybe as Pee Wee Marquette once said, "When you applaud for the different passages your hands go right on the records there, and when they play them over and over throughout the country, you may be someplace and say 'Well that's my hand on one of those records, that I dug down at Birdland....err, uhh...Jazz Showcase"

Nice photo Mark.

I was at the Friday show. It was a lot of fun. The DePaul band was good. There were some really talented kids there. The room was more packed than usual...lots of proud parents ;)

They were recording the show for a future album release. After the first set my fiancée and I went out and checked out the the mobile studio. It was a pretty cool set up. The engineers were very nice in explaining how it all worked.

I'm looking forward to the album. And maybe as Pee Wee Marquette once said, "When you applaud for the different passages your hands go right on the records there, and when they play them over and over throughout the country, you may be someplace and say 'Well that's my hand on one of those records, that I dug down at Birdland....err, uhh...Jazz Showcase"

I would agree with you on the Big Band; very good! Some dude from DownBeat was at the show I attended and gave an award to one of the trumpet players as well as the conductor. Did you pick up any of the cds they had for sale? I was in the audience when the recorded the Tom Harrell a few years ago and last years show with Phil Woods so I bought them as well as the one with Bob Brookmeyer. The price was right 3/$20.00!

I'd love to get setlist/personnel details on this for my Slide Hampton discography to get a jump on the upcoming album - and Mark, let's talk photos again! I'm looking forward to seeing the others you've got.

Mike

Mike,

I'm sure I can get the set list from Bob Lark who was the leader of the band, as they say. I'll email a few other images to you as well; still diggin' for an Ira that suits your fancy ;) . Slide will be in Indy if a few weeks to do a tribute to Jobim; anything you would like me to ask him?

m-

I had a limited CD budget on this trip and had already stopped by Jazz Record Mart and Virgin. (I had also been dragged through Nordstroms and the Lucky Brand Jean store - nothing for me at either of those though ;) )

I didn't pick up anything there but I did take 3 Slide Hampton CDs and had them autographed by the man himself.

Spirit Of The Horn

Roots

Jazz With A Twist/Explosion!

My fiancée and I introduced ourselves before the first set. Mr. Hampton was incredibly nice. He said of the three CDs I had brought he really liked Roots. It always makes the experience that much more enjoyable when the artist is approachable and willing to talk with fans.

I understand that celebrity is a difficult thing to live with and do my best to back off when I sense that the artist is not receptive. Mr. Hampton made his fans feel like welcome guests. He's definitely a class act.