Chris Walden "home of the Heart"

SGUD missile

For those among us who still like big jazz bands:

I just recieved this CD yesterday, "Home of my Heart " ( Origin 82439 ) and I've only been through it once last evening, but:

IMO, this is one of the very best written , played, and recorded big band CDs I've heard in years ..bar none!

Chris is a youngish (38 ) film writer from LA ( via Germany ) and this CD really shows he has a very interesting approach to the big band format , is extremely facile in his harmonic approach ( check out the reharmonized "Cherokee" that opens the CD ), and most of all, really knows how to get the band swinging. This is excellent modern mainstream big band writing at its best.

The players are basically the usual LA team suspects that absolutely NAIL these charts, and all of it was immaculately recorded and mixed by one of the best, Al Schmidt.

It's really gonna be hard to top this CD this year in the realm of big bands.

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

For those among us who still like big jazz bands:

I just recieved this CD yesterday, "Home of my Heart " ( Origin 82439 ) and I've only been through it once last evening, but:

IMO, this is one of the very best written , played, and recorded big band CDs I've heard in years ..bar none!

I am definitely among those who likes big jazz bands, and just ordered this one.

You've got to listen to the recommendation of someone who can made a CD like "Convergence Zone" (also on Origin and highly recommended). This "SGUD Missile" guy knows his stuff!