Recommendations needed...

Degiorgio

I LOVE this kind of sound: acoustic guitars + thick vocal harmonies... but I need help finding some more songs to check out... its a specific early 70's kind of sound - perfect examples would be:

America: Ventura Highway

Doobie Brothers: Toulouse Street

David Crosby: Traction In the Rain/Orleans (from 'If I Could Only Remember My Name')

being in the UK I rarely hear this kind of stuff as it seems to be a very exclusively Amercan style.

Anybody recommend similar stuff??

thx guys...

I have most of the CSNY + The Byrds material... I just got into James Taylor's 'Mud Slide Slim' and love the tracks with Carole King, Joni on backing vox so I'll check out more..

Haven't checked out The Eagles yet - and Seals & Croft sound like a great recommendation - I like a few covers of their songs so I'll go check em out.

I'll pass on REM - needs to have those early 70's production values for me :D

Anybody know Eric Anderson's albums? Joni's on a couple of em... curious.

Jackson Browne - especially the albums Jackson Browne, For Everyman, Late for the Sky, and the brilliant Running on Empty

Pure Prairie League - Bustin' Out remains an absolute classic of acoustic/harmony songcraft. Must have.

Loggins and Messina - Kenny Loggins went on to do 80s pop, and Jim Messina had earlier been a member of a latter-day edition of The Buffalo Springfield (the band that first brought notariety to Stephen Stills and Neil Young) and Poco. Their early-70s partnership yielded some great acoustic/harmony stuff. Look for Sittin' In, Loggins & Messina, and the great live On Stage.

Edited by gdogus

all sounds promising.. thanks so much guys!

I do have the Jackson Browne: For Everyman - as again it features my fave artist Joni on e.piano and David Crosby on backing vox... (Crosby for me has the voice of an angel - can't beat his harmonies...)

really must check out this Pure Prairie League...

I had a Kenny Loggins album once - Vox Humana (for the track 'Love Will Follow') - but not any Loggins and Messina...

I have most of the CSNY + The Byrds material...

Do you have Gram Parsons' G.P./Grevious Angel? Early '70s and a fair number of harmonies with Emmylou Harris. Over here it can be found with both albums on one disc - maybe it can where you are too.

Most excellent. Glad that worked for you.

yeah - thx... I just checked some Seals & Crofts and they sound even better! Even their album last year sounds great. Will check the Gram Parsons - don't have that...

having good fun getting these off eBay - just in time for the summer :-)

KD

just checked the Gram Parsons - not my thing at all - far too country... as are some of the Pure Prairie League tracks but there are 4 or 5 on Bustin Out that are just great - especially 'Falling In and Out of Love'.

Top recommendation so far though has to be the Seals & Crofts - *really* getting into their early albums...

Top recommendation so far though has to be the Seals & Crofts - *really* getting into their early albums...

There's an outside chance you might like England Dan & John Ford Coley. England Dan's real name is Dan Seals, brother of the Seals in Seals & Croft. I believe brother Jim Seals even played on an album or two of theirs.

Probably Nights Are Forever is where to begin your audition. Or perhaps a greatest hits package. They ruled the AM airwaves with Seals & Croft around the same time.