Steve Turre in Indy

sheldonm

Here are a few images from last nights show at the Jazz Kitchen in Indy. I didn't keep track of the set list but Jazz Messenger was there and may have. His bank included Deon Parson on drums, Gerald Cannon on bass and Larry Willis on piano. Nice show, lots of energy!

Mark

Edited by sheldonm

They play tonight in Rochester.

Last night I saw Frisell for a few minutes only, but his sound cut through the damp, humid atmosphere with cool notes, Sonny Rollins, who started in a groping kind of way but then let loose in his usual vituroso style ( Al Foster on Drums), and Hilton Ruiz ,who although played a wonderful Moments Notice, reminded me that a little mambo goes a long, long way.

A photo from last night of Sonny:

These photos turned out pretty nice, huh?  I brought my camera with me.  But I didn't shoot any photos because I thought it was too dark to shoot at decent speed...

Yes, the lighting is not really good at the Jazz Kitchen. It's ok if you're watching but shooting is another matter. There are so many red lights, they just kill the color images so I switched to b/w after the first few images.

m-

Saw Steve Turre this evening. He played very strong horn although I wish he would drop the latin percussion and those conch shells; but that's show biz . Larry Willis swung his ass off!

Next went to see Night of the Cookers. Pete LaRoca played nice bebop drums, for a older cat, James Spaulding played nice alto for even a younger cat. Craig Handy, a guy I always think could do more, proved to be the thinking man's Javon Jackson. Jermy Pelt did a very, very good impression of Freddie Hubbard, right down to stoping in mid-solo, taking a back from the mic, and hitching his shoulders and cocking his head before continuing. When it came time for his feature on Lamet for Brooker, I chose to leave.

Edited by marcello