Jazz shops in Atlanta?

spinlps

Any recommendations for jazz shops in Atlanta? Looking for vinyl, but CD works too. I usually hit the Wax 'n' Facts on West Moreland and a shop across the street, but those are mostly rock / alternative / dj dance shops. I hit a shop in Buckhead once, but it was pricey ($15 - 20 for USED OJC's... and this was 5 - 6 years ago).

I'm staying in the NW Perimeter / Cobb Galleria area, but will hit the road for a decent shop.

Thanks,

T

I'll be in Atlanta in a month or so, so I'm interested in in this too. Last year I was there and remember driving by a store that looked worth a stop (to see if they had any Jazz). I made a mental note to check it out "next time", but I can't remember the name or street. What I do remember is that it was on a street that was a block or two east of 75/85 and that the street ran parralel to 75/85. IOW it was on a street parralel and between the highway and Peachtree.

edit to add: I've been to Atlanta several times and usually come away empty handed. It might that I don't know where to look, but it seem the jazz sections in the mall stores are useless and the jazz section in Tower (is that Buckhead?) is smaller and smaller each time I go back !

Edited by Harold_Z

I'll be in Atlanta in late august, so I'm interested in in this too. Last year I was there and remember driving by a store that looked worth a stop (to see if they had any Jazz).  I made a mental note to check it out "next time", but I can't remember the name or street. What I do remember is that it was on a street that was a block or two east of 75/85 and that the street ran parralel to 75/85.  IOW it was on a street parralel and between the highway and Peachtree.

You're probably talking about Earwax records, which would not really be your thing unless you are a DJ, or really into underground hip hop. If you are, then fire away.

The Tower does not have a great selection, but they do have a used vinyl/cd section, so you might get lucky... and they do have a bigger jazz selection than most other stores in town. It is on Peachtree in Buckhead - at the intersection of Peachtree and Piedmont there is a large shopping center (with a Bridgetown Grill and Kroger), and it is right next to the Kroger.

Little Five points is still worth a look.. Wax n Facts, obviously, has quite a bit of good vinyl, and Criminal Records has nicely priced used CDs, with an interesting smattering of jazz. Those are both right on Moreland in the heart of L5P, so pretty easy to find.

Two stores you could probably hit up on the same trip to the Emory area, and absolutely worth a look: Wuxtry is on the corner of North Decatur (which goes right past Emory), and Clairmont Rd. Frankly, you could just follow Moreland up from L5P until it turns into Briarcliff, then turn right on North Decatur, and it'll take you right there in about 10 minutes. They have a cool jazz selection (and other kinds of music too), both CDs and LPs (the LPs are a bit pricey) and they will let you listen to anything before buying. The guys there are really nice. Then there is Full Moon Records on McLendon Ave right in the heart of Candler Park (if your in L5P, turn right at the Brewhouse and it'll take you straight there). Tiny shop, but packed with vinyl - probably the best selection of interesting/random stuff in town. It's also right next to the Flying Biscuit and across the street from Gato Bizco, two awesome places to have brunch.

Finally, if you're in downtown Decatur (just east of Atlanta, and a nice place with shops and restaurants to spend an afternoon), there is one little CD shop worth a look - I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it's in a blue building on the main street that goes into Decatur Square. CD only, but a nice selection of jazz, and another place you can listen to anything before you buy.

Hope that helps - Atlanta isn't exactly the best music shopping town ever, but not bad at all once you figure out where you're going and take the time to find the nice spots. Good thing is all the stores are basically in the heart of areas where there's quite a bit of good eating/shopping going on, so you can combine it with a bit of hanging out/walking around in some of Atlanta's more interesting areas.

Update:

Finished up too late at work to make a complete run, but I was able to hit Full Moon, Wax 'n' Facts, Satelite, and Criminal.

First, big thanks to Chuckyd4 for the Full Moon rec'. This shop will replace Wax 'n' Facts as my first stop when in ATL. Nice selection of new releases / reissues in the Rock, Alt, and Jazz bins. As far as Jazz goes, plenty of new and NOS reissues (OJC's, German OJC's, 90's Impulse and the odd BN reissue, plenty of the recent Scorpio sourced Columbia, RCA, Fantasy catalogs. I thought pricing was very fair, if not lower than what I usually see in STL. NOS OJC's and Pablo's were priced at $5 - 7, the 90's Impulses were in the $15 range, and the Scorpios were $9 or $10. CD selection blows, but I did pick up a Shepp / Waldron Billie Holiday Tribute CD.

Wax 'n' Facts is hit and miss for Jazz. I had a nice BN haul there 3 - 4 years ago, but only the occaisional items since. I have to give them credit for carrying so many new release / reissue LP's, regardless of genre. Although, I remember the new release section to be 20 Feet long, two boxes deep; today, it was maybe 12 feet. Picked up early Calexco vinyl, so I can't complain.

Satelite - Skip it.

Criminal Records - Mostly a CD shop, and not much of a Jazz selection in any format. All vinyl is new and fairly priced. Most is alt / dance / punk, only a handful of jazz titles.

Wuxtry - Didn't have enough time... but I'll be back in a few weeks.