Monterey!!!

I'm making my first trip to the Monterey Jazz Festival later this year. Although I've been to Monterey several times, it was never while the festival was going on. I'm sure many of our board members have been to the festival before.....any tips or great stories to share? Anyone going this year?

Thanks!

m-

Sheldon, I'll be there as I am every year (I live in Monterey). If you don't have one yet, rush to get a motel reservation; it may already be too late. Plan for hot days and cool evenings in terms of clothing. Other questions? PM me...  Yes, I have a zillion stories, but I can share when we meet...

PM sent!

• 2 months later...

I'm sure the percussionist must have been Victor Y. See Yung.

He is from Trinadad and Tobago and has been a regular with

Sonny Rollins' group the past several years. He is pretty

amazing on the congas and bongos.

vic2.jpg

Don

Sonny Rollins played better than I've heard him in years (with Bobby Broom, Bob Cranshaw, Steve Jordan, Clifton Anderson, and an African guy whose name eluded me on percussion).

Benny Green and Russell Malone played intricate, quiet numbers in the Coffeehouse. Jacqui Naylor opened out at the Garden Stage (backed by Josh Jones among others).

Spanish Harlem Orchestra heated things up in the arena (after Handy, before Rollins).

Ah, I miss Monterey; I'm envious of you guys who were there. The problem is, my wife has a legal conference that takes place in Monterey every couple of years... but it takes place like two weeks before the festival, long enough to make "hanging around" or returning so soon impractical.

I was there for the festival in '86 or '87 I think it was, with backstage/media creds while working on a PBS music show. It was great as we got access everywhere, with highlights being backstage for both MJQ and Ray Charles. Also fondly remember the Clark Terry and Red Mitchell duo, seeing Billy Higgins in person for the first time (damn, do I miss him!), and Bobby Shew (iirc) leading an incredible big band of young Japanese musicians doing mostly dixieland tunes.

Sonny was good, it took him a while to get going, but it was great to hear him at that level when he got there.

John Handy was excellent, though I could have done without Steve Miller "sitting in".

Madeline Peyroux was B-O-R-I-N-G. Scofield's trio with Bill Stewart and Steve Swallow was excellent as well. Branford was, well Branford. His tenor playing often doesn't really say much to me, as was the case Sunday night. The coffee house stage almost always has some of the best music, this year was no exception, with excellent sets by Denny Zeitlin (w/ Buster Williams and Matt Wilson) and the Benny Green/Russell Malone duo. Spanish Harlem orchestra was excellent salsa, and surprisingly enough, Lee Ritenour was also pretty good (opened up playing a Lee Morgan tune from the Procrastinator) though Alex Acuna was the one who really stole the show on cajon. I didn't get to hear Metheny live, but listened to it on the radio going home, and David Sanchez really was impressive, better than I've heard him before in person or on record.