NOS BN Conn's?

spinlps

Anyone else notice sealed BN Conn LP's from the 90's showing up at local outlets? I've seen very few over the last few years, but in the last week I've seen a decent number in Atlanta, Chicago, and here in St. Louis. I snatched up a 2nd copy of Basra last week in Atlanta, Shorter's All Seeing Eye over the weekend, and Leeway and Blues in Trinity today. I left way more on the shelves than I bought though. Euclid Records had multiple copies of many of the Conn's on the shelf. None at too high a price either... I paid $11 - $13 each.

Are you sure they're Connoisseur LPs? Many of those titles have been showing up in stores around my area but they're not Connoisseur LPs but rather new reissues from the Scorpio pressing plant. They run around $10. Check the catalog number on the cover. I am almost positive that most Connoisseur LPs have different catalog numbers than the original LPs. The Scorpio LPs use the original catalog numbers.

If they are Conoisseur LPs, $11-13 is cheap. They listed for $16-17 (same as the CDs) back in the day.

Later,

Kevin

Yep, these are Conn's / Top Ten's sitting side by side with the Scorpio reissues. The Conn's / Top Ten's have the corresponding BN sticker, Conn catalog numbers, and correct reissue year on the back cover.

Leeway - #32089 and not 4034

Blues in Trinity - #32093 and not 4006

Basra - #20911 and not 4205

etc...

Scorpios, as you said, have original catalog numbers, do not have the BN sticker, and were priced at $9 - $10.

Are you sure they're Connoisseur LPs? Many of those titles have been showing up in stores around my area but they're not Connoisseur LPs but rather new reissues from the Scorpio pressing plant. They run around $10. Check the catalog number on the cover. I am almost positive that most Connoisseur LPs have different catalog numbers than the original LPs. The Scorpio LPs use the original catalog numbers.

If they are Conoisseur LPs, $11-13 is cheap. They listed for $16-17 (same as the CDs) back in the day.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by spinlps

Actually, the Conn's state they are "mastered from the original analog sources." The Top 10's do not appear to make such a claim, but sound very good anyway. According to Robert May's BN labelography, there were apparently mastering differences between the US and UK Top 10 pressings. Not sure how to tell the difference between the two though.

I have consistently seen these pop up at some local stores, at about $13-16 ea.  Picked up Moncur's Some Other Stuff this way.  I am guessing they were using digital masters on these?