Miles-Blackhawk or Carnegie Hall

dave9199

Guest Mnytime

I don't listen to the Carnegie Hall that often. Not because the music isn't great because it is. Sony screwed up the remastering on the Carnegie Hall reissue. Makes it very hard to listen to most of the time. It sounds the way the screwed up version of the RVG of Shorter's JUJU sounded. The treble is very "Hot".

Edited by Mnytime

I was just winding up to say the same thing, Mnytime, glad I read your post before responding! Well put.

Just will add that it's so bad I find I can't really enjoy the music as much as it probably warrants. I'll be looking for updates (imports?) in the future.

Guest Chaney

I've not heard the Carnegie set but can Miles really sound more "lively" on Carnegie than he does on the Blackhawk set? As Miles sounds positively exuberant on the Blackhawk set, that would surprise me quite a bit.

I'd have to say I prefer the Carnegie set as well. It just seems like there was magic in the air. Miles' solo on Neo!!! Holy shit!!! It's just crazy!!!

And Spring Is Here is just so beautiful. God, it's beautiful.

I love this music so much, I can ignore the sound limitations...

But if this ever get improved upon, please make sure I know. ;)

Well, I'm not up-to-date, because I don't have the most recent Blackhawk set, and I only have it and the Carnegie stuff (including the newer released stuff) on vinyl, but I've long maintained that Carnegie displayed that band's charms to better advantage than Blackhawk. I think they were more tightly focused, which, given the difference between a one-off concert at a major international venue and a long club date in a toilet, is totally understandable.

It's a question of degree, really, but if push comes to shove, I'm taking Carnegie.

Edited by JSngry

Howdy folks. Blackhawk all the way. I've spun those discs probably 20 times since picking them up last week. Compare with the five (tops) times I've spun Carnegie in the two years I've owned it. Tony shares my frustration in that the music is pretty darned shrill, especially when Evans' boys are at it.

I like both sets a lot, but they have a very different atmosphere. The Blackhawk was a club gig taking place over two nights, so obviously it was more routine than the unique Carnegie Hall appearance with the Gil Evans Orchestra. On the latter the band plays with more fire (especially Miles) but the tracks with Gil Evans are not near as good as the studio versions.

The Carnegie Hall concert is poorly recorded, it is mono and has a lot of distortion on higher levels. I don't think the late 90's remastering made it worse.

Although I like Carnegie more, I agree with wondering what the hell was going on with his louder passeges. It is pretty bad, and the piano is pretty low, but in regard to playing, it's more lively as JSngry said; a special show compared to a club date, I can understand the difference in playing. Though on the new Blackhawk set, I can hardly hear the bass.

BTW, anyone have any info on box #3, Seven Steps To Berlin? This'll be mostly live stuff right? All the same songs again?

Miles Davis - Seven Steps to Berlin (Columbia) box set - 200x

— Probably Seven Steps to Heaven (studio, 1963), Miles in Europe (Antibes, 1963), My Funny Valentine/Four & More (Philharmonic Hall, 1964), Miles in Tokyo (1964) and Miles in Berlin (1964) and including some unreleased material

Source: jazzmatazz