Sun Ra - The Cry of Jazz (film)

slide_advantage_redoux

I spotted this DVD for sale. I have chance to pick it up for a reasonable amount of $, and I wondered if it was worth having. It sounds very interesting.

From the ad:

Tying in the career of avant-garde jazz legend Sun Ra with political and racial unrest in American society, documentarian Edward O. Bland filmed this feature in 1959. Bland illustrates his sociological commentary by drawing parallels from within the music industry, utilizing the work of Sun Ra to allow his message to powerfully resonate. The footage of Sun Ra is rare and barely seen before, making this an enjoyable film for jazz purists and political scholars alike.

Anyone have a take on this?

Thanks

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

It's an historical curiosity that ought to be seen at least once if you're a Sun Ra fan. I put it on sometimes to see the "deep seriousness" of the discussion by the jazz club members in the film.

I'm glad it's available and that I've got it in my collection, but if I want to watch some Sun Ra, I'd go with A Joyful Noise.

Mike