Paul Anka's "Rock Swings"

robviti

I guess my point is this....we accept that there ARE new "standards" being written in the pop field when it comes to our favorite jazz players playing them....Bjork, Coldplay, Radiohead, come to mind as all being overdone by the Berkley crowd (now replacing the overdone Stevie Wonder for jazzers).  Why not Spandau Ballet, Billy Idol or Van Halen...or are those guys considered too, too, too mainstream to have not been considered.  Miles Davis didn't think so.

...and no, I CAN'T believe I'm defending this crap at all... :cool:

:tup

I think this recording is at a much higher level than the others you compare it to.  O.K...take away the Nirvana song which is obviously a mistake...but there's some surprising stuff that's obviously been scrutinized as to it's remaked-ness, so to speak.  Van Halen's "Jump" really kicks.  Rem's "Everybody Hurts",....and others.

Hey, I don't like Paul Anka's singing...it's schmalzy...he sucks.  But the arrangers, musicians and recording engineers did a good job and some of the songs actually work.

I guess my point is this....we accept that there ARE new "standards" being written in the pop field when it comes to our favorite jazz players playing them....Bjork, Coldplay, Radiohead, come to mind as all being overdone by the Berkley crowd (now replacing the overdone Stevie Wonder for jazzers).  Why not Spandau Ballet, Billy Idol or Van Halen...or are those guys considered too, too, too mainstream to have not been considered.  Miles Davis didn't think so.

It's "schmaltzy," OK?

Schmaltzy!

And Berklee, no?

BERKLEE!

(I'm such a schmuck). :rolleyes:

Edited by Kalo

I think this recording is at a much higher level than the others you compare it to.  O.K...take away the Nirvana song which is obviously a mistake...but there's some surprising stuff that's obviously been scrutinized as to it's remaked-ness, so to speak.  Van Halen's "Jump" really kicks.  Rem's "Everybody Hurts",....and others.

Hey, I don't like Paul Anka's singing...it's schmalzy...he sucks.  But the arrangers, musicians and recording engineers did a good job and some of the songs actually work.

It's "schmaltzy," OK?

Schmaltzy!

And Berklee, no?

BERKLEE!

(I'm such a schmuck). :rolleyes:

Agreed...I'm the world's WORST speller.... :g

I listened to about 5 minutes of the Fresh Air show yesterday and dumped it. Tuned in today and about a half hour in Terry announced "part two" of the Anka interview. I turned the radio off.

He sounded like the most egocentric a-hole on earth the first few minutes of the first day.

What was she thinking!

If that was "the point" it backfired for me.

How do we get Organissimo on Fresh Air? Or any NPR show for that matter??

I listened to about 5 minutes of the Fresh Air show yesterday and dumped it. Tuned in today and about a half hour in Terry announced "part two" of the Anka interview. I turned the radio off.

He sounded like the most egocentric a-hole on earth the first few minutes of the first day.

What was she thinking!

Hmmmmm. . . . Get Larry Bell to sing "Nothing But Flowers" with you (and 101 strings).

--eric

What was she thinking!

Hmmmmm. . . . Get Larry Bell to sing "Nothing But Flowers" with you (and 101 strings).

--eric

That's funny !! :lol:

What was she thinking!

You have to become a more egocentric a-hole than Paul Anka, Randy. ;)

Hey, I don't like Paul Anka's singing...it's schmalzy...he sucks.  But the arrangers, musicians and recording engineers did a good job and some of the songs actually work.    [...]

Maybe they should release a Music Minus One version, dropping the vocals! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Check Mr. Personality out here

The guys get shirts....

Here's Anka's reaction to the "The guys get shirts" recording:

Anka: That was recorded 15 years ago by a real snake that we fired. We had a nice big moment on Howard Stern, where he played the tape and he absolutely agreed with it. He said "I've done that. I do that." And everybody does. I think any guy running a company gets the whole point of that tape. I'm a real stickler for detail, and I have a real strong responsibility to my audience. When I'm up on that stage, anything I do has to be as perfect as possible for the consumer and for whomever. I don't just go to work and take the check and run. What happened there was there were a lot of mistakes in the band, in the sense that we'd rehearsed it one way, and we'd have a cutoff, where everybody has to end together. The other thing was that we'd spent a lot of money getting guys dressed so there was uniformity. And the guys just dropped the ball. You know, a lot of musicians—some of them are drinkers, some of them are doing dope and what have you, and you learn that, you know, later in the gig. It's like hiring people—the résumés are one thing, and everybody's on their best behavior, but until you get somewhere into the voyage and you realize you've got some bad apples in there, that's when you have to deal with it. It's a funny tape; that's me; I'm that way. People don't toe the line, they're out.

http://www.reason.com/hitandrun/2005/08/it...e_a_tough.shtml