Jazz Trombonist Charles Stephens Missing

Dr. Rat

Marty Sonnenfeld, Community Communications: W-718-956-9482, or Cell 347-351-4231; or Tami Stephens: 718-638-7903

Jazz Trombonist Charles Stephens Missing Since Saturday

The whereabouts of Jazz trombonist Charles Stephens are unknown, and his family is urgently seeking the public's help in finding him. Stephens, 59, was last seen leaving his Clinton Hill, Brooklyn home on Saturday afternoon (August 6th), carrying his trombone in its case. Stephens¹ wife, Tami, however, said that there was no notation on his calendar of a performing or recording engagement on that date. He did not return home that night. Further, the staunchly reliable veteran musician did not show up for an engagement on Monday evening, nor another one on Wednesday evening. A missing persons report has been filed with the NYPD.

Stephens is considered a master musician. He performs frequently with such leading big bands as the Duke Ellington Orchestra and the George Gee Big Band. His forty-year resume includes touring the world and recording with such major artists as the Lionel Hampton Orchestra, Dizzy Gillespie¹s United Nations Orchestra, the Illinois Jacquet Big Band, modern Jazz innovators Sam Rivers, McCoy Tyner, and Archie Shepp, vocalists Nancy Wilson and Eartha Kitt, and top R&B and pop stars including Teddy Pendergrass and Li¹l Anthony and the Imperials, among many others.

"Charles is well-loved, and 100% dependable. It is extremely unusual for him to be out of contact with his family and friends for this long,² said Bandleader George Gee. ³The Stephens family is desperately seeking any information ­ including where he may have been slated to perform last Saturday, or if anyone may have seen or heard from him since then."

Anyone with any knowledge of Charles Stephens¹ whereabouts is urged to contact Tami Stephens at 718-638-7903.

# # # # #

NOTE: PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BROADCAST OR PUBLISH ABOVE PHOTOGRAPHS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

Community Communications

Agents of Multi-Culturalism

www.commcom.com <http://www.commcom.com>

718-956-9482

Just read on another board that he has been found. It seems that he is in a hospital in serious condition. I don't yet know if it was an accident, health issue, etc.

I'll see what I can find out, or if anyone else hears something, please share it with us.

Obviously our best wishes/thoughts/prayers go out to Mr. Stephens.

Just read on another board that he has been found. It seems that he is in a hospital in serious condition. I don't yet know if it was an accident, health issue, etc.

I'll see what I can find out, or if anyone else hears something, please share it with us.

Obviously our best wishes/thoughts/prayers go out to Mr. Stephens.

I hear he fell and hit his head pretty badly and had to have brain surgery of some sort. No further word:

From what I understand - Charles had a seizure in the streets of Brooklyn last Saturday and fell on his head and injured it badly.  He was rushed to the hospital (Downstate Medical Ctr in Brooklyn) and had emergency brain surgery.  He has been in a coma ever since and is in crtical condition.  We are happy to find him alive, but more than ever - your thoughts and prayer are very much needed.

FYI:  Downstate Medical Center  always had Charles' ID, but neglected to notify ANYBODY!  And this is one of the hospitals that was contacted when we were seeking Charles initially.....

Thank you evrybody for your efforts.

Thanks,

george gee

Subject: CHARLES STEPHENS HAS BEEN FOUND ALIVE, BUT INJURED

thank YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND PRAYERS. Charles HAS BEEN FOUND, BUT IS IN CRITICAL CONDITION

Thanks for the update, Eric. Hope he can pull through this.

EDIT: I also found this (similar information):

"Trombonist and Lionel Hampton Orchestra alumnist Charles Stephens, suffered a massive stroke last Saturday.His blood pressure was over 280. He was taken to University Hospital of Brooklyn. He is still in a coma, has bleeding on the brain, and only responds to pain stimuli. The doctors say they are hopeful that he will live, but remains in critical but stable condition."

Not very good news unfortunately.

Edited by Free For All

• 4 weeks later...