Recording Dates Sought

Bill B

Bill, the Birdland Stars date is listed as February 1955 in the Sheridan Basie bio-discography. No precise date. The tour started on February 11, writes Sheridan.

The Jamal Alhambra recordings too place in July 1961, says The Lord.

No firm date for the Jimmy Smith soundtrack. 1965 it was.

Bill, the Birdland Stars date is listed as February 1955 in the Sheridan Basie bio-discography. No precise date. The tour started on February 11, writes Sheridan.

The Jamal Alhambra recordings too place in July 1961, says The Lord.

No firm date for the Jimmy Smith soundtrack. 1965 it was.

Brownie,the Smith recordings were 2 nights in Sept 1965 according to the booklet notes. Thanks for the effort.

What other info is there about the Jimmy Smith session? Do they give location?

I'll wager the Birdland Stars date can be pinned down pretty easily in the Topeka newspapers. The tour was in Chicago on Feb. 18 and in NYC on Feb. 26.

The Jamal is very difficult because it was his club and he played there so often. Was the Ruppli Chess book the source for Lord? My French copy of the LP (Vogue/Cadet 515019) says "June 1961".

Mike

The Smith Trio (Quentin Warren and Billy Hart) recorded the music to this Pierre Granier-Deferre film in one night in Paris in Sept 1965.The English notes portion of the booklet are by Granier-Deferre. The CD is 57 mins long filled out with themes from Joy House,Goldfinger,Mission Impossible and Man with the Golden Arm. These are probable Verve recordings. I different look at Smith. and was available thru Dusty Groove.

Here's what I know - Jimmy Smith toured Europe in late May 1965 and again in late November-early December 1965, both times with the same trio.

However, I don't know of a September 1965 tour. It *seems* like too much - is there any evidence to support this?

Mike

I gather this was not part of a tour.Smith et all flew in one day and did the recording and went home according to the booklet . I know no more ??