Pat Metheny Trio + Quartet

Aftab

WOW!

That's all I have to say - Metheny with Antonio Sanchez and Christian McBride with David Sanchez.

Played a good mix of old and new - as in not tiles yet - material including Lone Jack, James, Q&A, a tune from the Meth/Sco collaboration and some other stuff.

Metheny was ripping, subtle, and over the top at the same time - highlight was the extended guitar synth solo going into a spacy outro - too bad I can't remember the name of the tune!:)

Antonio Sanchez - one of the best drummers on the scene, so tasty, so dynamic, and just solid.

I have a new respect for Christian McBride - didn't know he could play like THAT - great stuff.

David Sanchez - unfortunately, all I have to say is "why?" For me, he added absolutely nothing and actually took away from the experience - it was obvious to me he was a bit intimidated, maybe even frightnend, by the guys he was playing with, who are leaps abounds way ahead in the journey. His tone was kind of weak and none of his solos were that inspiring. I would've preferred a) a different sax player b) no sax player c) keys - piano, b3, rhodes

Cool theater, too - only like 400 seats or so (I think) - nice venue

Pat did a touching tribute to Michael Brecker and urged folks to check out his need and see if they can help.

All in all, a fantastic show that I would recommend you go to if they come to your town - you could even leave 30 minutes early (when David comes on stage) and you won't miss much :w .

I saw them recently in Santa Fe.

It was an excellent concert.

I differ slightly on what was expendable.

Metheny did a couple of solo "acoustic" pieces which were too ethereal for me.

On the other hand I liked David Sanchez.

McBride & Antonio Sanchez were fantastic.

Either way go see them if they come your way.

Forgot to mention that once David Sanchez came on stage - they played 2 of the previously unreleased tracks from Song X - Police People and the Good Life (I think) - good stuff nonetheless.

Edited by Aftab

I'm seeing them tonight and am considering Ann Arbor tomorrow night since I missed Purdue last night. They seem to be Midwest intensive this time around. :party:

Did they play "Double Guatemala" for the encore like they did in San Diego? Christian totally kicked ass...

Edited by rachel

I have a couple live gigs from this tour from Monterey and just the trio in Oakland. The Oakland show contains a version of Q&A that may top IMO the definitive version on the "Trio Live" record, Pat decides to skronk out halfway through and its funny. "Double Guatemala" cracks me up, Rachel, was that the guitar synth on that one with just the straight tone and distortion? David Sanchez doesn't have the fire that Brecker added with Pat but his tone reminds me of Joe Henderson, which I like.

I have a couple live gigs from this tour from Monterey and just the trio in Oakland.  The Oakland show contains a version of Q&A that may top IMO the definitive version on the "Trio Live" record, Pat decides to skronk out halfway through and its funny.  "Double Guatemala" cracks me up, Rachel, was that the guitar synth on that one with just the straight tone and distortion? David Sanchez doesn't have the fire that Brecker added with Pat but his tone reminds me of Joe Henderson, which I like.

Just got back to the hotel from the show. CJ, yes they did Double Guatemala as the encore tonight, and it was the guitar synth with the straight tone and distortion. I know a lot of folks don't care for that particular tune, but I love how he sounded on the synth and how Christian totally cooked on the fretless. I've always liked this trio's version of Q&A much better than the Trio Live '00 version, and tonight's was no exception--it was 22 minutes of pure bliss.

thanks Rachel :). "Double Guatemala" is just funny to me, because the tune is like so Pat in the way its contoured but so simple at the same time.  What exactly is a Double Guatemala anyway? lol

it sounds like some kind of dangerously potent alcoholic beverage. :ph34r: