Joe Lovano - On This Day

Alexander

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any talk about this. It came out Tuesday, I bought it Wednesday, an it hasm't left my CD player since. Exceptional stuff. Easily one of Lovano's most accessable and enjoyable outings in some time. The nonet is terriffic, and there is a bit of a "Birth of the Cool" thing happening. Anyone else pick this up?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I picked it up and while the playing is marvelous, the fidelity of the recording is one of the worst live recordings I have ever heard.

This has about the same sound quality as Bird at the Roost.

Apparently done by Kurt Lundvall - this is a real shame because it so detracts from some great music.

I really enjoy it. Its took me a minute to get used to, but its really grown on me and its up to the calibur of Lovano's best releases. I can see how people might have a complaint about the sound, but it sounds fine to these ears.

I've had this for a week now, and I'm disappointed.

*The sound is muffled and muddy, although not mortally so.

*The Dameron/Birth Of The Cool-inspired stuff seems to sit uncomfotably with the Trane-esque title track.

*The track length - mostly around the 10-minute mark with a couple at 15 minutes - really leaves a jarring feeling between the ensemble bits and the solos.

Disappointing, for me at least, as I believe 52nd Street Themes is a cracker and the new one doesn't build on it or complement it at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got this the other day. The music is wonderful, as it often is with Lovano.

But I truly hope the engineer, Kurt Lundvall, is never allowed near another Blue Note recording. He doesn't have much of a clue about recording jazz. Granted the thing sounds better on headphones than through speakers, but at first listen, you'd think Lewis Nash had forgotten to bring cymbals to the gig.

In the '50's and '60's Blue Note would not release a date if something was substandard about it. Obviously, that has changed. Again, it's not the music, but the sound. It's not unlistenable but it's way below what we should expect.

(I've heard bootlegs that are better than this). Anyone have any idea what would cause an "official" recording to screwed up so badly?

In the new issue of Jazz Times, there is a letter from Lovano in which he stoutly defends "On This Day," maintaining that he was involved in all aspects of the recording. "I am proud of this recording musically and sonically, and feel it will stand the test of time..."

Most of the other letters to JT have roundly criticized the sound quality of the recording .

As to how this happened, how about "Nepotism"?

In the new issue of Jazz Times, there is a letter from Lovano in which he stoutly defends "On This Day," maintaining that he was involved in all aspects of the recording.  "I am proud of this recording musically and sonically, and feel it will stand the test of time..."

Most of the other letters to JT have roundly criticized the sound quality of the recording . 

As to how this happened, how about "Nepotism"?

I once met Joe after a fanstastic gig he played with a trio. We spoke for a few minutes and he signed a Cd booklet for me. He struck me as a very conscientious musician as well as a friendly and decent person. I'm sorry he is into defending what is really indefensible. Can he honestly believe the sound is state-of-the art on this CD? It's not even state-of the art "bootleg." Sorry, Joe, something went wrong here and you'd be better to admit it, and make sure the next project is up to snuff.

Blue Note’s On This Day webpage has a link to Kurt’s email in the customer review area. In as non-confrontational a way as I could, I asked about the sound quality. Kurt never responded —no big surprise, he’s probably sick to death from fending off similar questions— but as bad as the sound is, the high frequencies aren’t absent as much as they’re buried. Even though the bass drum is way out front, a little EQ-ing does wonders.