DYI ipod battery replacement...

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

ok i ordered a third party iPod battery and just installed it.

i know a few were curious to hear how it went...

let me say if i ever had to do it again i think it would be fine but this time was not so smooth.

everything i have read says it is tough to crack your ipod open and it definitely is.

once i discovered which way to wedge the ipod apart it was ok, but before then i bent the metal casing in two places and broke two of the plastic snap thingies which hold the white part to the metal part.

i was surprised how much gunk and hair was inside my ipod so i guess it isn't so airtight anyway.

i thought i was supposed to unwrap the battery but then i did that and i thought i shouldn't have done that so i put the tape-ey paper back around it.

i had to take out the hard drive to put in the new battery and had a little trouble unplugging the old battery.

however once i stuck it all back together and plugged it into my computer...my computer was able to read my ipod! so i guess it was a sucess...at least until the ipod explodes in my pocket on the subway tonight.

so the verdict is-i wouldn't want to do this on a nice new ipod for the first time. but if you don't care about your ipod if it is really old or you like the DYI thing, go for it. i have no tech saviness and i resorted to some brute force (my battery came with a gentle plastic wedgie thing but i gave up and used a metal nail file).

but this is definitely doable-just hard to get the hang of at first.

i would definitly do this again now that i know what to do.